Jeep Commander Forum banner

Car Shuts Off

15K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  flashover95 
#1 ·
I have 06 Commander. Every now and then it just shuts off while engine is running. About a minute later it will start right back up and wont do it again for months. Ive brought it to dealership and they cant find anything wrong with it. Anyone else experience this?

#3 ·
This ends up being quite the can of worms for some people. Mine died only after near-panic-rate stops. Turned out there was a vacuum line disconnected in the engine compartment.

First thing's first, I'm going to assume you have a Hemi. Start taking out your spark plugs, and reading the part number. They MUST be Champion P/N RE14MCC4. These are the Champion "570" series copper plus plugs that should be available at most auto parts stores. Now, beyond the part number, there are an unexplained number of these plugs that have a charcoal/black wire-side tip rather than the typical polished silver tip. You MUST have the polished tip plugs, every last one (16) of them. If you have ANY other spark plugs installed in your engine, go to the parts store and get the RE14MCC4 and open every last box to ensure it has a silver tip. The black tipped ones are still in circulation, and are known to be linked to the Hemi stalling, along with any plug other than the OEM, which is the aforementioned Champion plug.

Once you have verified/changed to silver tipped RE14MCC4s, if you still have the stalling issue, we can go on from there. Namely taking off your air intake and cleaning up your throttle body on body sides of the throttle plate.

#9 ·
First thing's first, I'm going to assume you have a Hemi. Start taking out your spark plugs, and reading the part number. They MUST be Champion P/N RE14MCC4. These are the Champion "570" series copper plus plugs that should be available at most auto parts stores. Now, beyond the part number, there are an unexplained number of these plugs that have a charcoal/black wire-side tip rather than the typical polished silver tip. You MUST have the polished tip plugs, every last one (16) of them. If you have ANY other spark plugs installed in your engine, go to the parts store and get the RE14MCC4 and open every last box to ensure it has a silver tip. The black tipped ones are still in circulation, and are known to be linked to the Hemi stalling, along with any plug other than the OEM, which is the aforementioned Champion plug.
MUST is a mighty definitive word. I have been running Autolite iridium plugs in my '07 hemi for over 150,000 miles now. It has always run smooth, no stalling, idles perfect, and good gas mileage. MUST run those Champions...? No. But everyone's experience may vary.

#4 ·
Have you checked for stored fault codes?

The recent recall for ignition switches has to do with the switch being to easy to accidentally bump it with a knee and knock the key to the off position. BUT, bad ignition switches have cause engines to stall intermittently, i.e. that is NOT what the recall is for, but it is possible it is your problem.

I have seen posts about a TSB/Recall with the earlier Hemi's that there was a problem with the PCM and the connectors, that resulted in intermittent stalling. Do a search for that issue.

Spark Plug and clogged air filters can cause stalling, if you're over due on spark plug changes, you should do it, that could be the problem. As well as the suggestion that the wrong plugs could be in the motor.

The suggestion to check vacuum lines and hoses is good, check the PCV as well, if they malfunction or just get dirty, then can cause too much air flow and be like a vacuum leak.

Also consider if you're using higher than recommended Octane, higher octane fuel has a higher volatility, and doesn't vaporize as easily, especially at cold temperatures. So using higher than needed octane, during cold weather in a cold engine can result in stalling.

#5 ·
^^ Yes, worn spark plugs, of even the correct variety can cause these issues too. So check your gap and color on your plugs. Unlike most all modern vehicles that use platinum plugs that are a non-maintenance item until 100,000 miles, Chrysler has insisted on keeping with copper plugs, that require replacement every 30k miles, so keep that in mind.

#6 ·
I just had misfires and rough running on my 3.7L, and the plugs were only 20k mi. old. I had just changed the thermostat, and hosed out the engine to clean off the spilled anti-freeze.

I put in fresh plugs early, but I don't think that was the cause, I think some dirt and water (from hosing it out) got into a connector on one coil and caused all the problem. Regardless, might as well have done all the plugs since I already pulled them and checked, but I think the real issue that solved the problem was just cleaning all the ignition parts and get the water out of it.

#8 ·
Did you check your spark plug part numbers? The 4.7L is also a picky engine, and needs Champion copper plugs as well. You can check the sticker on the underside of the hood, but I believe the part number for the 4.7L is RE12MCC4. I had the OEM Champion coppers from the High Output in my 2004's 4.7L and it ran like crap until I swapped to the OE plugs.

You can also get a can of starter fluid and spray it on and around vacuum connections with the engine running. If the engine RPM rises, you have located a leak. Do be careful with this method, though (I've never had an issue). I would also take out your idle air controller valved mounted to your throttle body and give it a good cleaning, if not replacement.

#11 ·
There's absolutely nothing wrong going with factory spec parts. I went with iridiums because of their longevity. The first set went for 90k miles and were still great when I pulled them out for a fresh set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.