Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I am new to this forum, I am a new jeep commander 3.7 v6 owner, have had it for about 2 months, bought the 2008 used with 35000 mls. Have loved it other then the gas milage up until yesterday. My wife and 11 month old daughter were out and stopped to get gas and when she tried starting it, nothing happened....just the click click noise, so thought maybe the battery, so she got a jump and still nothing. My dad who is very mechanically inclind went to meet her, he cycled through the gears and it started right up. Took it to autozone for them to test tha battery and everything showed good, but when they tried to start it again, nothing. So we are thinking the starter. Took out the starter got it tested and everything was good. Now that could be cause we juggled with it, but who knows so we are getting a new starter just in case, last thing i want is for my daughter and wife to be stranded in 100 degree weather. So while we are under the hood we decide we are going to check everything out since i doubt the previous owner or dealership did the 30000 miles tune up. Now here comes the problem after all of that, how do we get the stinking air filter out? We loosened all the screws and unhooked that hose thing( sorry not very technical) and still weren't able to get it out. Any help would be much appriciated. Also just an overall cencus what do you all think of your commanders? Did I make a smart choice? PS I posted in problems too, didnt know which would be better to post.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Please only make a post on a subject once. Someone who can answer your question will get to it eventually. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
yes one post per subject brother :) ... someone will see it!

I actually had this happen to my Commander once ... I assumed the Sentry Key Immobilizer System had faulted and toggled on for some reason ...

I took the key out of the Ignition and waited for 5 minutes .. then tried it again and it started right up .. never happened again.

I changed my air filter recently and cannot remember anything significant .. just have a close look at it it can't be too difficult if *I* can do it :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
One other thing to look at is if there is a neutral safety switch on its way out. My 97 Jeep GC did exactly as you described, right down to the clicking sound that makes you think its the battery. I just had to pull it out of park and back and it would start. After I changed the neutral safety switch, the problem was solved.

Your best bet is to have any codes read to make sure you get the issue handled correctly.

I have a 2009 with the 3.7L V6, my filter box has two latches on it and once undone, you can lift one side and pull it towards that side to open it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts