Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and went through a couple threads. Sounds like I'm not seeing exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like something that covers the rear cargo area and is useful for both the third row in the up or down positions.

I see these options:

Cargo Area Liner - Jeep Commander XK - Item # 82209667 #82209667AB

Molded Cargo Area Tray - Jeep Commander XK - Item # 82209693AB, 82209692AB, & 82209765AB #XKCargoTray

Carpeted Cargo Area Mat #XKCargoMat

From what I've read the first one isn't great, the second one would probably work, except that it doesn't cover the jack storage area, and moves around a bit and the last one does not appear to work with the third row in the up position.

The weathertech also does not seem to work well in the third row up position. I have rugged ridge liners in the first and second rows and like those, but they don't have a rear cargo area solution that I have seen.

Does anyone have any other solutions? I'd be fine with some sort of low pile all weather carpeted solution that was easy to hose off and dry. I may just buy something @ the hardware store, cut to fit, add velcro to keep it in place and have some trim sewn on. If someone has done this then I'd love to see it!

Looking forward to your responses! TIA!

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
I have the second one you listed - the molded cargo area tray.

I love it - but I rarely use my third seat.

That being said, you can't leave it in place if you want to put the third seat up and use it.

You'd have to take the cargo tray out before you use the third seat.

Because of how close the third seat comes to the rear tailgate door when it's up, I don't think you are going to find anything that will not get in the way somehow, if you try to leave it in place when you put the third-row seat-up. You are talking about an extremely limited amount of space behind that third row seat when it's up.

I think no matter what option you go with, you will wind up having to take it out, in order to use the third row seat, even some kind of all weather carpet would be challenging to leave in place with that third row seat up - unless you try to velcro it in place somehow.

The cargo tray is nice because it's very quick and easy to take out and clean.

I'll attach a pic here in a minute - but it will be largely covered by all the crap I keep in the back.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the second one you listed - the molded cargo area tray.

I love it - but I rarely use my third seat.

That being said, you can't leave it in place if you want to put the third seat up and use it.

You'd have to take the cargo tray out before you use the third seat.

Because of how close the third seat comes to the rear tailgate door when it's up, I don't think you are going to find anything that will not get in the way somehow, if you try to leave it in place when you put the third-row seat-up.

I think no matter what option you go with, you will wind up having to take it out, in order to use the third row seat.

I'll attach a pic here in a minute - but it will be largely covered by all the crap I keep in the back.
Thanks! Yeah, I don't use my third row seat that often, but if I put the whole family in the Jeep then I need it. I'd rather not have to take it out and store it in the garage during those times. I really just want something that is easier to remove and clean that protects my carpets and seat backs, so it doesn't have to be as heavy duty as that molded one. I'm betting that I am going to have to make something if I want to be 100% satisfied with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I don't use my third row seat that often, but if I put the whole family in the Jeep then I need it. I'd rather not have to take it out and store it in the garage during those times. I really just want something that is easier to remove and clean that protects my carpets and seat backs, so it doesn't have to be as heavy duty as that molded one. I'm betting that I am going to have to make something if I want to be 100% satisfied with it.

The one thing you can see, is that it does cover the jack storage area and it's pretty durable - but doesn't weigh very much.

But based on what you said you're looking for, you will most likely have to make something yourself.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a low pile carpet that is cut straight down the center, front to rear, to accommodate either of the third row seats...we use it often. After a camping or beach trip, ill just pull it out and shake out...whenever one of the third row seats are in use, I just roll the carpet and it stays nicely behind. Very cheap and simple and still protects the interior. Ill post a pic this evening.

·
Banned
31 Posts
I put the Rugged Ridge liners in my front two rows and got the weathertech for the rear. It's flexible enough to just roll up in a tube, that's how it comes shipped. If you put the third row up, roll it up and it'll still fit in the trunk area.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I put the Rugged Ridge liners in my front two rows and got the weathertech for the rear. It's flexible enough to just roll up in a tube, that's how it comes shipped. If you put the third row up, roll it up and it'll still fit in the trunk area.
That's a great option I you put the 3rd row up...I my case, we use use just one of them and pack the rest of the space with gear. We all know how much usable space is available when both seats are raised.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the carpet solution.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Im sorry Lucky,,,The site is giving me a "failure to rewrite files" message whenever i try to copy the pics taken, and i do not know how to correct the issue...i always have problems putting pics up here :|

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im sorry Lucky,,,The site is giving me a "failure to rewrite files" message whenever i try to copy the pics taken, and i do not know how to correct the issue...i always have problems putting pics up here :|
bummer... try using imgur or photobucket.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I have the First one you listed, and aside from the way they like to hold it to the back of the second row it does what we want, as in a washable cover for the dogs to lay on.

Swanny

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the First one you listed, and aside from the way they like to hold it to the back of the second row it does what we want, as in a washable cover for the dogs to lay on.

Swanny
Have any pictures? I wish there were more pics of it on the listing. How has it held up to the dogs? I have a german shepherd and a lab that don't get to ride in the XK yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought about buying a liner, one that is cheaper and still good to use and cutting it up into 2 or 3 sections and adding just long enough pop rivets and using rubber bands to connect them together. Got the idea from my Tuner days. They are called Quick Release Fastners on cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bumper+Quick+Release+Fastener&biw=1413&bih=1333&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9zJ36n87OAhUG72MKHfJ_BR4QsAQIUQ

2016 Jdm Quick Release Fasteners Kit Are Ideal For Front Bumpers, Rear Bumpers, And Trunk/Car Hatch Lids From Ruixuan66, $6.24 | Dhgate.Com

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Cargo Liner/ Mat

That is the exact one I got and I got it from the same people it fits nice but the stretch cord don't stay on when the 2nd seat is folded down as the mat is not split for just one seat going down, other than that they have held up good and are easy to take out and clean.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts