Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be swapping out my catalatic converters on friday and was wondering if anyone can get there hands on a Service Manual for a 2007 XK 4.7 Liter and send me the steps on how to replace it. I know what needs to be done, and it shouldnt be that hard but want to see if they show anything that might help make the process easier. I know some of the bolts are hard to get to. My bank two converter is bad (ruined from off roading) and I keep getting a CEL every few weeks which has been irritating me for a while now. My inspection is up this month so i'm going to swap out the converters so I have no problems passing inspection. Thanks in advance.

BTW...I tried using those links cico7 posted on those service manuals but they didnt work for me. Im not sure why.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is from the 08XK Chrysler manual. There is a diagram, but it won't paste.
I need to do the same thing this spring. Crunched a cat with a rock before I got my BellyGuard.

What did you pay for the cat assy?

4.7L ENGINE

WARNING: If torches are used when working on the exhaust system, do not allow the flame near the fuel lines.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Saturate the bolts and nuts with heat valve lubricant. Allow 5 minutes for penetration.
3. Remove transmission crossmember (Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/REAR CROSSMEMBER - REMOVAL).
4. Disconnect and mark oxygen sensor electrical connectors.
5. Remove steady rest bracket mounting bolt (5) from transmission.
6. Remove the nuts from the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange.
7. Remove bolts (2) and flanged nuts (1) at the exhaust manifold.
8. Remove the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) from the vehicle.
9. Remove steady rest bracket (4) from front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3).

4.7L ENGINE

1. Position steady rest bracket (4) onto the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3).
2. Position the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) into vehicle.
3. Install the bolts (2) and nuts (1) at the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) to exhaust manifold flange. Do not tighten.
4. Install the nuts at the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange. Do not tighten.
5. Position the exhaust pipe for proper clearance with the frame and underbody parts. A minimum clearance of 25.4 mm (1.0 in.) is required.
6. Tighten front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to exhaust manifold bolts (2) to 26 N·m (19 in. lbs.) torque.
7. Tighten the front exhaust pipe and catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange nuts to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Install steady rest bracket bolts. Tighten bolts to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.).
9. Connect oxygen sensor electrical connectors.
10. Install transmission crossmember (Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/REAR CROSSMEMBER - INSTALLATION)
11. Lower vehicle.
12. Start the vehicle and inspect for exhaust leaks. Repair exhaust leaks as necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The XK is back together but need a wiring diagram showing where the passenger side o2 sensors connect. I think I might have get them mixed up when I was reinstalling everything. Thanks again. It wouldnt let me see wiring diagrams on the Service manual Sal sent by PM. Its listed under component index in wiring section under sensor-oxygen left front / left rear / right front / right rear.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont need the wiring diagrams anymore. I'm 100% positive that I plugged the o2 sensors into the right clips. Im currently having a problem though. Hoping you guys can help me out. After installing the brand new catalatic converters and (4) brand new Bosch o2 sensors, I started the XK and right away I noticed something wasnt right. I had a very rough idle and it almsot sounded like the engine was going to cut off. I ended up getting a few CEL codes......P0137 o2 sensor 1/2 circuit low and P0157 o2 sensor 2/2 circuit low. I cleared both codes and let the engine run for about 15 minutes. I then took the XK for a ride and everytime I would stop at a light, the engine would cut off. It was having a problem idling. While driving around I ended up getting two more codes. P0172 Fuel system rich and P0300 Multiple cylinder misfires. Those codes eventually cleared them selves out of the system. All I did was disconnect the negative battery cable, take off transfer case skit, transmission crossmember, unbolted the converters from the manifold and muffler end and unclip the old o2 sensors. Then I reinstalled all the new parts to include new cat and o2 sensors. I didnt mess with anything else during the process. A friend of mine told me to call and find out if the new o2 sensor were heated sensors. They confirmed they were. Im not sure why that matters but I guess they have to get to a certain temp before they will send a reading???? I was then told to tune the XK back to stock settings with the Flashpaq and drive it around for a while so the computer could re lean everthing with the new cats and o2 sensors. Does this sound normal after replacing what I replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated. I just drove it around this morning to go to the bank and it seems to be doing a little better. All I can think of is it either needs to re learn everything since new new parts were installed and the battery was disconnected or maybe it has something to do with the new o2 sensors. I bought them from two different stores because the one store didnt have them. All four were the exact same part number listed for my engine. Jeep states all four o2 sensors on my vehicle are the same part number also. I know some vehicles have different sensors for pre and post cats.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That must be some generic picture out of a different service manual or something. Doesnt help me at all seeing how I have 1 o2 sensor on the drivers side and the other 3 are on the passenger side. Anyways it doesnt matter. Already figured that out. Need to figure out why its not running properly after replacing the cats ans o2 sensors. Where is robby when you need him.

·
1,993 Posts
You needed to disconnect the battery so the system can relearn the new parts. This sounds normal to me and I have done this myself after making changes and finally got the results I was looking for. It should take some miles to settle in but you should see it getting better as time goes by. Remember the fuel air and timing get adjusted in part by what the O2 sensor is sending the computer.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just drove the XK about 70 miles on back roads out in the counrty going up and down huge hills and it drove perfectly. Headed back towards home hitting a few stop light and slow driving in parking lots and it started acting up again and the CEL came on. I just dont understand. My brother mentioned bringing it to his work tomorrow and doing a quick learn on it. Not exactly sure what that it but im at the point where i might just drop it off in the dealer and have them mess with it. Going back out now to put some more miles on it to see if the CEL will go out on its own. Anymore help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Jeep is at the dealer now. Not exactly sure what the problem is as of last call from them. I was having misfires on the entire right side of the motor. I mentioned reflashing the computer and installing any updates they may have. They did that and now it's down to just cylinder 8 misfire. They said that there arent any codes for the o2 sensors, but I asked if they can run some sort of test or something to make sure they are working properly. They said they will see what they can do. When I first dropped it off, they mentioned that they have had problems in the past with after market o2 sensors so thats something to keep in mind. Im hoping they figure this all out for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From what I read you need IE6 for that to work. I'm running windows 7 and IE8 the wiring diagram never worked for me. I've installed the SVG viewer and upgraded it from adobe nothing works. I haven't tried down grading to IE6 yet I'm sure that will be a PITA
I've got my 08XK manual running on 2 computers. 1 a laptop with XP SP3 and IE8. The other with Win 7 SP1 and IE8. Both work fine. I can view all the wiring diagrams and location drawings and print them out.

I do have IE8 set to compatability mode, and I upgraded the Adobe SVG viewer to 3.03 as the one that came with the manual wouldn't send to the printer.

Microsoft did take out some critical Adobe SVG compatability in IE9. So IE9 will NOT work with my manual at all.

·
1,993 Posts
I've got my 08XK manual running on 2 computers. 1 a laptop with XP SP3 and IE8. The other with Win 7 SP1 and IE8. Both work fine. I can view all the wiring diagrams and location drawings and print them out.

I do have IE8 set to compatability mode, and I upgraded the Adobe SVG viewer to 3.03 as the one that came with the manual wouldn't send to the printer.

Microsoft did take out some critical Adobe SVG compatability in IE9. So IE9 will NOT work with my manual at all.
I'll have to check the compatibility mode in IE. I also upgraded SVG to 3.03. So far no joy:icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you use aftermarket sensors?
Update:

So finally hear back from the dealer a little while after posting at work yeasterday. Turns out the cant figure out whats wrong with my jeep and the next step would be to tear apart the engine to make sure the internals arent damaged and working properly. I told them hell no and there was nothing wrong with my internal engine parts. Long story short i picked up the XK after work and drove it home. It died right around the corner from my house with multiple misfire codes so I had my buddy tow me with his jeep. Swapped out the Bosch o2 sensors with new OEM o2 sensors and its running fine now. So ......DO NOT USE AFTER MARKET O2 SENSORS IN YOUR XK. They are totally different, and have totally different ground and heater wiring. Even the end looks different between the two but i didnt even notice that cause I installed the new bosch o2 sensors in the new converters before i messed with the old ones. Hopefully getting the inspection done today and head over to that dealer to tell them off.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Glad to hear everythings running well.
How hard was it to replace the cat assy?
How long did it take?
Any tips?
It wasnt that hard at all. I did it all by myself, which would have been even easier with an extra set of hands. All you do is disconnect o2 sensor connectors. Unbolt the transfer case skid if you have one and transmission crossmember. You will have to support the transfer case/tranny with a floor jack. Unbolt the rear portion of cat assembly from muffler assembly. Unbolt cat assembly from manifolds on both sides of the engine. Make sure you have a good swivel and a few longer extensions, it makes it easier to get to manifold bolts. Then pull the old assembly out and reinstall the new assembly. Just make sure you use oem o2 sensors. Dont bother disconnecting the battery like i did. Just make sure the exhaust is cool before you mess around with it. I got a nice burn on my arm when I swapped out the Bosch o2 sensors with the oem sensors. Also make sure you jack the entire XK as high in the air as you can and support it with jack stands. If you dont do this and dont have a lift youll never get the cat assembly out from under the XK. Other then that, just take your time and do it right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts