Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently purchased an '06 Commander Limited with the 5.7 Hemi and am hoping someone might have suggestions regarding exhaust. i'm new to the forum and have found many helpful tips about my new used xk, what a great place to learn!

My commander has just over 43,000 km. No warranty because i live in Canada and this is originally a US vehicle. I'm within my 30 day guarantee period from the place where i bought it, so hopefully i'll be covered. i just took my xk in to the local jeep dealer and everything checks out perfect except the exhaust. my cats have been rattling and need replacement. The dealer says $1600 for the whole deal.

Thinking there must be a cheaper solution and wanting the work done right, i took the vehicle to the best performance shop around, and they suggested 2 hi flo magnaflow convertors (part # 94005) and a magnaflow muffler (#12286). I asked about magnaflow cat back (16665) because i figure this is a great opportunity (glass half full) to add some sound; i've been to magnaflow's website and like the sound of the cat back for the 5.7 hemi (at least on the computer). he suggested that i should do the 2 cats and muffler only, leaving on the resonator, to help keep noise levels down. i told him my wife and kids would like some deep sound from the hemi but we'd still like to be able to talk comfortably, watch dvd, etc on our drives.

Anyway, i've been looking through the various threads to do with exhaust here, listening to the sounds, etc, but it's hard for me to tell what sounds are the magnaflow muffler only, and what's the cat back. does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best option? will the magnaflow muffler on its own be enough for deeper tone, or should i go for the 2 cats and cat back?

Thanks for any thoughts and thank you for this forum. It's an awesome resource!

Fatty

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I love my my Magnaflow cat-back. Can't hear it inside unless you get on the gas. But regardless of what you do you will still have to replace the catalytic converters if they are bad--and yes, they are expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for your replies. I'll probably go with the 2 hi flo cats and a magnaflow muffler. Folks seem to love their magnaflow cat backs with 5.7 hemi though, so it's got me thinking. in the sound clips i've listened to, on this forum and youtube, i wish i knew what was the magnaflow muffler only and what is cat back, help to make an informed decision. But i guess it's a bit of a go with gut situation and with magnaflow products it sounds hard to go wrong.

fatty

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My cats starting rattling about two weeks ago. I had an appointment for the dealer to fix them under warranty but then they noticed a 6 inch scratch down the one cat and decided they werent going to cover it anymore.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My cats starting rattling about two weeks ago. I had an appointment for the dealer to fix them under warranty but then they noticed a 6 inch scratch down the one cat and decided they werent going to cover it anymore.

Got to love the dealer! From sale to trade in, they are willing to screw their customers!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
07?
A scratch????
Or a crease?
If the outer jacket is deformed it breaks the substrate away from the shell and a rattle will ensue.
So, if it is creased or deformed because of the scratch it is not a failed substrate....it is a deformed substrate and not Jeeps responsibility.
But if the case is not deformed I'd recommend a Jeep DSM inspection and denial in writing.
That way, you can make a insurance claim due to road damage with Jeeps denial of failed part.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
07?
A scratch????
Or a crease?
If the outer jacket is deformed it breaks the substrate away from the shell and a rattle will ensue.
So, if it is creased or deformed because of the scratch it is not a failed substrate....it is a deformed substrate and not Jeeps responsibility.
But if the case is not deformed I'd recommend a Jeep DSM inspection and denial in writing.
That way, you can make a insurance claim due to road damage with Jeeps denial of failed part.

Good luck,
Rob
It's basically about a 6 inch long scratch on the cat itself from a rock I apperently bottomed out on at Rausch Creek. The case itself where the scratch is located is indented approx. 1mm along the entire scratch. It happened about a year ago so im not sure exactly how that caused the rattling.

BTW: Just recently got a P0430 code which isnt a surprise to me at all. I can get the parts from the dealer for approx. $640. They have a $200 core on top of that but I would take off the old cats and bring them in when I got the new ones so I wouldnt have to pay that obviously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the end I went with the Magnaflow hi flo cats, muffler, and double walled tip. The look and sound is closest to this youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0QY9pcHm4&feature=related

(this is a long clip, i'd suggest forwarding to about 2:20) I think this is a bit louder because he cut out the stock resonator and went straight from the muffler.

My wife and kids are happy with the sound. There's very little drone on the highway and you can turn heads at the corners in the city (for a couple of bucks no doubt). I'm sure I would have loved the cat back, but I was within my 30 day guarantee period on my new used xk, and actually managed to get all this work (except tip) paid for, and at my choice of performance shop! Maybe I should have gone the extra for the cat back, but i'm pretty happy overall. The best part is no more rattlin' cats and a Hemi that sounds more i think like it's meant to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts