Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
That's nice work Core, it looks good where you put it.

I have a HAM radio I have to install in my XK, so, there is an antenna in my future but it won't be a standard CB Antenna.

HAM Radios run on different frequency bands and use different antennas.

After installing rock sliders, that's probably the next thing I'll tackle when I come home again in the October/November time-frame.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nice work Core, it looks good where you put it.

I have a HAM radio I have to install in my XK, so, there is an antenna in my future but it won't be a standard CB Antenna.

HAM Radios run on different frequency bands and use different antennas.

After installing rock sliders, that's probably the next thing I'll tackle when I come home again in the October/November time-frame.

Thanks! Yeah this is more for trail rides. I have a 4ft antenna as well for better frequency. I've heard of HAM radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Thanks! Yeah this is more for trail rides. I have a 4ft antenna as well for better frequency. I've heard of HAM radios.
Yea, they use different frequency bands and have far greater range than a C.B. or V.H.F.

You also have to have a Federal F.C.C. license to operate one legally.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, perfect timing. I logged in to ask about a radio install. Not to go all "end of the world" on you guys, but I'm going to be ready should **** go down. This Nation is a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode... And should they crash the market again, I'd like to be ready for anything.

What's the best radio to stay in contact with the world? I've heard of the HAM radio before when reading that other board about our make. I have access to BK Radio and Motorola equipment through a contact at the office. Not really sure where to start as this is a vast hobby and I have no experience whatsoever with mobile radios.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to reach someone should the XK break down off the grid somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Wow, perfect timing. I logged in to ask about a radio install. Not to go all "end of the world" on you guys, but I'm going to be ready should **** go down. This Nation is a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode... And should they crash the market again, I'd like to be ready for anything.

What's the best radio to stay in contact with the world? I've heard of the HAM radio before when reading that other board about our make. I have access to BK Radio and Motorola equipment through a contact at the office. Not really sure where to start as this is a vast hobby and I have no experience whatsoever with mobile radios.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to reach someone should the XK break down off the grid somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
A HAM Radio is the way to go.

At a glance it looks just like a CB or VHF - but it's not the same at all.

It gives you a much broader range of frequencies where you can access various repeaters - depending on your location - and it will give you the greatest range by far.

The only drawback is - like I stated earlier, you have to have an FCC license to operate one legally.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not worried about legality as I'll only have it in the truck when I hit trails / camp / or emergencies. Is it something that cannot be used without a license? Can you even get an FCC license?

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Not worried about legality as I'll only have it in the truck when I hit trails / camp / or emergencies. Is it something that cannot be used without a license? Can you even get an FCC license?
An FCC License for HAM Radios is fairly easy to get - with a little bit of effort.

They are pretty cheap to obtain and they are good for 10 years - I have one.

Once you pass your exam, you will be assigned a 6 character alpha-numeric call-sign such as KM6DFG.

If you are interested, everything you need to prepare for your test is right here, I think it's $25.00 or $30.00 to join for a year;

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Awesome, thanks, dude. Have any photos of your setup?
If you're talking about my HAM radio, no, I haven't installed it yet.

Installing my HAM radio and installing some steel rock-rails are the next 2 items on my to-do list when I get back state-side again in November.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would only ever use CB when I'm on trail rides with a big group. I wouldn't need a HAM or good radio. Hell, I may not even buy a stationary CB. I wanted the Antenna for better range and clarity but I have a portable cobra I can plug right into the coax cable that's ran to my antenna so it works the same as a stationary one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
I would only ever use CB when I'm on trail rides with a big group. I wouldn't need a HAM or good radio. Hell, I may not even buy a stationary CB. I wanted the Antenna for better range and clarity but I have a portable cobra I can plug right into the coax cable that's ran to my antenna so it works the same as a stationary one.
I have a group of people that I associate with - we all run HAM radios for tactical purposes, increased range and better overall functionality & reliability.

They are definitely not a necessity for your every-day trail rider.

And like I said, not just anybody can go out and buy one and start using it - you have to be licensed by the FCC to legally use one and the FCC does monitor the HAM frequency bands for unlicensed users.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts