Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the Coilover suspension lift from CB Engineering?
I'm currently running the RCX Leveling kit and am just not thrilled with the compromise in suspension geometry.
Come tax season I think I will be purchasing the lift kit from them with remote's front / rear, to include the upper control
arm replacements and further down the road I will purchase the heim steering upgrade, and eventually the rear replacement control arms.
I like the height I have from the leveling kit, I'm just not satisfied with the ride quality offroad and the premature failure of my upper control arm ball
joints. But if any of you guys have any input, I'd appreciate it. It's a steep price but I'm willing to buy if it's truly
any kind of improvement. I've linked the products below.

CB Engineering Suspension Components:
Suspension Lift Kit
Upper Control Arms
Heim Steering Upgrade
Rear Control Arms

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I have is I have been running the RC 2 inch lift for 2 years now and the only thing I have had to replace was the front upper differential bushing - which is a common point of wear on Commanders and Grand Cherokees.

Other than that, I have not had any other issues in the last 2 years and my tires have no trouble staying in alignment.

I'm curious to know exactly what compromise of suspension geometry you are referring too?

Of course I have upgraded my shocks, struts and rear springs too, so, I don't know how much that has to do with me not having any issues.

Maybe you do more off-roading - or more extreme off-roading than I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For that much, you could almost buy the SL. They look like quality components, but if you're spending that much, why only go 2.5"?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I will have some info for you in about a month or so. I ordered their kit in mid-December after speaking with the owner for about an hour or so. (As an aside, I may have sold him on the idea of a group discount, more to come)
I ordered the 2.5 lift with remote reservoirs and added in the upper and lower rear control arms and the tie rod ends. I already have a set of RRO UCAs and their adjustable rear track bar. I'll be making a post in discussions regarding the "WHY" I have all these new Commander parts coming in... ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will have some info for you in about a month or so. I ordered their kit in mid-December after speaking with the owner for about an hour or so. (As an aside, I may have sold him on the idea of a group discount, more to come)
I ordered the 2.5 lift with remote reservoirs and added in the upper and lower rear control arms and the tie rod ends. I already have a set of RRO UCAs and their adjustable rear track bar. I'll be making a post in discussions regarding the "WHY" I have all these new Commander parts coming in... ;)
Hi there,

Did you every buy / install this 2.5 lift? Looks like top notch stuff. Someone commented on this being as much as SL, but its resonible compared to 4Xguard coilover 2.5 kit. I could port and polish aluminum heads and add a roller cam to my hotrod for what the 4XGuard c2.5 cpilover kit costs. LOL

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sometimes a lift is about more than just height increase. I'd rather have the cb engineering one personally. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone run this thing

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes a lift is about more than just height increase. I'd rather have the cb engineering one personally. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone run this thing
Totally. People want quality lifts in different sizes. Sadly there is way more support and options for wranglers due to popularity and $$ to be made. Im looking forward to hearing / seeing more about this lift as well.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Well, I purchased the kit back in mid December but due to the holidays, I haven't received it. They were very thorough regarding how my Commander was going to be equipped, what I planned for armor/winch/bumpers/wheels and the expected terrain and percentage of off road/on road driving. The suspension is specially tuned for each individual buyer's requirements. As I was planning for this to be an "overland rig versus a rock crawling rig, I wanted something that would be just as capable on the highways as on corrugated BLM roads and fire roads. I got the upgraded remote reservoirs just for that purpose as I planned to make 90% of my Utah trip on dirt/gravel BLM roads and for a future trips to Death Valley and remote New Mexico. Both of those trips will be off paved roads and having the ability to not overheat the shocks running at a fair clip down washboard trails is a plus. I was not concerned about the actual height of the lift, IMHO that's more of an "appearance" mod rather than a practical one, I'm concerned about the truck actually WORKING 75 miles from a paved road rather than how it looks in a parking lot. In addition, I'm limited by a very low clearance in my garage (sub 7') and I'd prefer to be able to keep it in the garage than parked outside. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also ordered their upper and lower rear control arms and the heim joint tie rod ends (I received the RRO front UCAs and their adjustable track bar as a gift). I debated about getting the RCV Ultimate CV axles, but couldn't justify $2K for bulletproof shafts when I can easily buy a spare cv shaft for under $60 and toss it in the back when I go off-road. I'll update when the kit comes in and see if I can take pics of the install. It's just a waiting game now...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well, I purchased the kit back in mid December but due to the holidays, I haven't received it. They were very thorough regarding how my Commander was going to be equipped, what I planned for armor/winch/bumpers/wheels and the expected terrain and percentage of off road/on road driving. The suspension is specially tuned for each individual buyer's requirements. As I was planning for this to be an "overland rig versus a rock crawling rig, I wanted something that would be just as capable on the highways as on corrugated BLM roads and fire roads. I got the upgraded remote reservoirs just for that purpose as I planned to make 90% of my Utah trip on dirt/gravel BLM roads and for a future trips to Death Valley and remote New Mexico. Both of those trips will be off paved roads and having the ability to not overheat the shocks running at a fair clip down washboard trails is a plus. I was not concerned about the actual height of the lift, IMHO that's more of an "appearance" mod rather than a practical one, I'm concerned about the truck actually WORKING 75 miles from a paved road rather than how it looks in a parking lot. In addition, I'm limited by a very low clearance in my garage (sub 7') and I'd prefer to be able to keep it in the garage than parked outside. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also ordered their upper and lower rear control arms and the heim joint tie rod ends (I received the RRO front UCAs and their adjustable track bar as a gift). I debated about getting the RCV Ultimate CV axles, but couldn't justify $2K for bulletproof shafts when I can easily buy a spare cv shaft for under $60 and toss it in the back when I go off-road. I'll update when the kit comes in and see if I can take pics of the install. It's just a waiting game now...
You can get rcv shafts for a bit less than that if you shop around. Based on your useage though I can totally see why you would opt to just have a spare.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Yeah, if I was going to be slamming the undercarriage against rocks all day long, I'd definitely go with the RCVs, but the point of a good lift kit is to avoid slamming into rocks all day long, right? To be completely honest, even if i found them for $1000, I still wouldn't buy them. Now, If I had 37's and significant suspension flex, I could see the value, but for what the XK platform is capable of, there's no reason for the expense.
The other compelling feature of the CB Engineering lift kit is that it is not a "set height" lift. Being a coilover setup, it is infinitely adjustable (within the limits of the shock tube threading of course) which gives me the option to increase or decrease the ride height for different conditions. Not to knock the JBA kit (far from it, as almost all of my armor is their parts) but I can not justify their price. The only justification of the high cost of their kit I can see is that they were the only company making one and could charge whatever they darn well pleased...CB Engineering has changed that dynamic.>:)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Here is another tie rod option for those with higher lifts item 292003607732 on eBay

JeepPerf: I appreciate your fabrication of products for the XK, but at least acknowledge it's not "just an option", it's YOUR eBay listing for YOUR product. I considered ordering your products (the bushings) but they are too pricey for my budget, the UCA bushing cost almost as much at the UCAs. If they were a little more affordable, you'd probably get a lot of business, but I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for making XK parts!!:grin2:

·
Banned
13 Posts
Here is another tie rod option for those with higher lifts item 292003607732 on eBay

JeepPerf: I appreciate your fabrication of products for the XK, but at least acknowledge it's not "just an option", it's YOUR eBay listing for YOUR product. I considered ordering your products (the bushings) but they are too pricey for my budget, the UCA bushing cost almost as much at the UCAs. If they were a little more affordable, you'd probably get a lot of business, but I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for making XK parts!!:grin2:

Our bushings are hand made which make them more expensive to produce but use the best materials and novel engineering ideas, resulting in a very long service life. Amortized over their long service life, they end up being less expensive by saving quite a bit of otherwise labor replacement cost. Thank you for your feedback and please keep an eye on our new products. I hope we win you as a customer sometime in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Just got the word...Christian from CBE called me and my lift is on the way!!!! I'll post some pics of the unboxing.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
The first two boxes got here today, the Fox shocks should be here shortly. Going to wait until everything is here...no need to teas everyone with half of the stuff. Hahaha! So far, the stuff is very nicely made and packed very well. One word: STOKED!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts