Jeep Commander Forum banner

CB Engineering - a consumers review from a longtime forum member.

9K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Flex 
#1 ·
I like to try and share my experiences here with the rest of the forum on the aftermarket companies I have dealt with over the last few years and the products that I have tried out on my XK, to give other members some insight into these companies & products, who maybe thinking about doing similar upgrades to their XK's. If my experience can help others in some way, why not pass it along? After all, that's what this forum is all about right?

Some companies I have dealt with have been very good - others have been average and some have been not so good.

To say my experience with CB Engineering was not so good, would be quite an understatement.

I placed my order with CB Engineering for the following products on 12/03/2017;

https://cb-engineer.com/products/200...r-control-arms

https://cb-engineer.com/products/2005-2010-jeep-grand-cherokee-adjustable-rear-lower-control-arms

Their website clearly says "Items in stock normally ship in 1-2 business days".

The items I ordered were listed as "In Stock" which were 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Commander Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms and 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Commander Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms. The only other thing I asked for was to have them powder-coated which they list on their ordering screen as a standard option for an extra $25.00 a set.

Well I ordered these when I was still overseas knowing I wouldn't be back home until DEC 13th, so I figured I would have them in plenty of time.

So, I go to my P.O. Box when I get home and I'm sorting through all of the things I had ordered while I was away and my rear upper & lower control arms from CB engineering are not there. I checked my e-mail expecting some kind of communication from them - and I have no e-mail from them either.

I would have expected that when your business claims right on your website that "in stock" items normally ship in 1-2 business days and I have a $606.00 order that is 10 days old, that I would have received some type of notification - an e-mail or a phone call stating why the order is delayed & hasn't been shipped - but I did not hear one word from CB engineering.

Unfortunately for me, this was a sign of things to come.

So, I called Christian - the only point of contact listed for the business - on what apparently is his cell phone which was the only number listed for the business and there is no answer.

The voicemail message I get says nothing more than "Leave a message". Not very professional at all - and again, this was yet another sign of things to come. So, I left a message fairly early that afternoon and I also sent him an e-mail. That day (DEC 14th) went by and I received no call back and no response to my e-mail.

Same thing when I woke up the following morning Friday, DEC 15th. So I called again on this morning and this time I was able to get Christian to pick up the phone. When I questioned him about the order he stated that they were hung-up in powder-coating. I don't really understand exactly how something can get delayed in being powder-coated - but again, if you were aware of this issue, why not a pro-active phone call or e-mail letting me (the customer) know that my order is delayed & why?

I was very understanding about it despite the lack of communication on his end and said no problem, I'm getting ready to head home to Florida and asked him if he could just change the shipping address to my Florida address which he said would not be a problem.

Another week goes by and still no word from CB Engineering on my order. I call again early afternoon on Thursday Dec 21st and again, no answer. I leave a voicemail.

Friday December 22nd I call again (after not receiving a call back on Thursday) and I get him on what I believe was my 3rd call back and he says in a very unconvincing tone "Yes we are doing are best to get these done and have these finished and shipped out to you before Christmas.

Somewhat half-heartedly, I said o.k. fine - will I receive an e-mail or some kind of notification that they were shipped? Christian said yes of course, you'll get an e-mail with all of the shipping & tracking information.

Well Christmas came and went and still not one word from CB engineering about my order.

December 28th, my patience had finally reached it's limit - I e-mailed and texted Christian at CB Engineering and demanded a refund. The one positive thing I can say about CB engineering is that they did issue my refund pretty quickly.

While it looks like CB Engineering offers a nice product - at least from the pictures, their customer service was absolutely non-existent. I did not receive one piece of correspondence or communication that was initiated from that business, in nearly a month of waiting for my order. That's absolutely ridiculous.

I guess the lesson here is, that all that glitters is not gold.

Let the buyer beware.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar experience with a seller on EBay with a very similar product. It was a set of adjustable control arms for my lifted 1999 V10 Ram. I chose the arms from that seller because he was using a very strong very heavy wall tubing. He offered the johnny joint at one end standard and allowed for the other end to be swapped out to the johnny joint. So I ordered a set with the other end reverse threaded. This would allow for the arms to be adjusted without removing them from the vehicle.

I had him ship them to a buddy in Ohio as he was acting as a middleman for me for a bunch of parts where the sellers wouldn't ship to Canada. About a month goes by and my buddy tells me no control arms. I try to contact the seller with the same sketchy lack of response. He responded quickly while I was placing the order. He finally gets back to me and says he was out of town and that the supplier of the joints was out of stock and that they promised him the joints in a few days. I say fine and much like yourself, I ask for notification. Two more weeks goes by and nothing. I try to contact him again and hear nothing . He completely ignores me. So my buddy calls him and is told that his product was created and shipped and if I didn't get them, too bad. My buddy asks for a tracking number and is told that he lost the paperwork. This is a sheister's common lie. They ALL try it.

I message him through EBay telling him that I am not only canceling my payment (I paid with a credit card) , I am also going to contact EBay and demand they revoke his selling privileges. He figured that I was past my EBay allotted time for a refund and couldn't do anything to him. All of a sudden he is making them as we speak. I say fine, you have 1 week to get them to my buddy. He did finally send them but they were not powder counted, just poorly painted. They were a really beefy product and if the moron would be more honorable, I am sure he would be rolling in business.

#3 ·
Yea, it's a shame that there are people like this out there pawning themselves off as legit businesses.

When you are paying top dollar for a product - which I most definitely was, you expect the customer service to go along with it.

Customer service just seems like a lost art these days and it definitely is at CB Engoineering.

#4 ·
Thanks for this review. I looked at their products when I purchased my 2nd commander and was looking at a coilover kit for the front. I emailed them a couple of times, but nothing! No reply!!! Cant even picture how they would give support after purchasing their product.

I went with another OME HD and well now I am about to start piecing a SUPER LIFT.

Front option im looking at: 5100 at 1.5" and stock springs or King coilover (thought they cost 1k!!)
rear: JBA 6"
Rusty rear upper / lower adjustable and trac bar.

HAPPY NEW YEARS

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for this review. I looked at their products when I purchased my 2nd commander and was looking at a coilover kit for the front. I emailed them a couple of times, but nothing! No reply!!! Cant even picture how they would give support after purchasing their product.

I went with another OME HD and well now I am about to start piecing a SUPER LIFT.

Front option im looking at: 5100 at 1.5" and stock springs or King coilover (thought they cost 1k!!)
rear: JBA 6"
Rusty rear upper / lower adjustable and trac bar.

HAPPY NEW YEARS
Sounds like a cool project, post some pics when you can.

Your experience with CB Engineering sounds about the same as mine.

I can't help but wonder how they stay in business - their customer service is just terrible.

#6 ·
I like to try and share my experiences here with the rest of the forum on the aftermarket companies I have dealt with over the last few years and the products that I have tried out on my XK, to give other members some insight into these companies & products, who maybe thinking about doing similar upgrades to their XK's. If my experience can help others in some way, why not pass it along? After all, that's what this forum is all about right?

Some companies I have dealt with have been very good - others have been average and some have been not so good.

To say my experience with CB Engineering was not so good, would be quite an understatement.

I placed my order with CB Engineering for the following products on 12/03/2017;

https://cb-engineer.com/products/200...r-control-arms

https://cb-engineer.com/products/2005-2010-jeep-grand-cherokee-adjustable-rear-lower-control-arms

Their website clearly says "Items in stock normally ship in 1-2 business days".

The items I ordered were listed as "In Stock" which were 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Commander Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms and 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Commander Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms. The only other thing I asked for was to have them powder-coated which they list on their ordering screen as a standard option for an extra $25.00 a set.

Well I ordered these when I was still overseas knowing I wouldn't be back home until DEC 13th, so I figured I would have them in plenty of time.

So, I go to my P.O. Box when I get home and I'm sorting through all of the things I had ordered while I was away and my rear upper & lower control arms from CB engineering are not there. I checked my e-mail expecting some kind of communication from them - and I have no e-mail from them either.

I would have expected that when your business claims right on your website that "in stock" items normally ship in 1-2 business days and I have a $606.00 order that is 10 days old, that I would have received some type of notification - an e-mail or a phone call stating why the order is delayed & hasn't been shipped - but I did not hear one word from CB engineering.

Unfortunately for me, this was a sign of things to come.

So, I called Christian - the only point of contact listed for the business - on what apparently is his cell phone which was the only number listed for the business and there is no answer.

The voicemail message I get says nothing more than "Leave a message". Not very professional at all - and again, this was yet another sign of things to come. So, I left a message fairly early that afternoon and I also sent him an e-mail. That day (DEC 14th) went by and I received no call back and no response to my e-mail.

Same thing when I woke up the following morning Friday, DEC 15th. So I called again on this morning and this time I was able to get Christian to pick up the phone. When I questioned him about the order he stated that they were hung-up in powder-coating. I don't really understand exactly how something can get delayed in being powder-coated - but again, if you were aware of this issue, why not a pro-active phone call or e-mail letting me (the customer) know that my order is delayed & why?

I was very understanding about it despite the lack of communication on his end and said no problem, I'm getting ready to head home to Florida and asked him if he could just change the shipping address to my Florida address which he said would not be a problem.

Another week goes by and still no word from CB Engineering on my order. I call again early afternoon on Thursday Dec 21st and again, no answer. I leave a voicemail.

Friday December 22nd I call again (after not receiving a call back on Thursday) and I get him on what I believe was my 3rd call back and he says in a very unconvincing tone "Yes we are doing are best to get these done and have these finished and shipped out to you before Christmas.

Somewhat half-hearted, I said o.k. fine - will I receive an e-mail or some kind of notification that they were shipped? Christian said yes of course, you'll get an e-mail with all of the shipping & tracking information.

Well Christmas came and went and still not one word from CB engineering about my order.

December 28th, my patience had finally reached it's limit - I e-mailed and texted Christian at CB Engineering and demanded a refund. The one positive thing I can say about CB engineering is that they did issue my refund pretty quickly.

While it looks like CB Engineering offers a nice product - at least from the pictures, their customer service was absolutely non-existent. I did not receive one piece of correspondence or communication from that business in nearly a month of waiting for my order

I guess the lesson here is that all that glitters is not gold.

Let the buyer beware.
How are the control arms treating you now that you have them installed?? What is your lift setup in the rear? What length did you set the upper and lower control arms at? Do you have the OEM drive shaft? I am at 3.5" in the rear and don't like how my rear axle has positioned my rear wheels forward in the wheel wells.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
How are the control arms treating you now that you have them installed?? What is your lift setup in the rear? What length did you set the upper and lower control arms at? Do you have the OEM drive shaft? I am at 3.5" in the rear and don't like how my rear axle has positioned my rear wheels forward in the wheel wells.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk
If you would have read the whole post - you would know that I never received them and wound up having my money refunded, so, I can't answer any of your questions.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.