Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having a bit of trouble installing my CB I recently purchased.
I have a 2006 4.7 sport, and the radio is a Cobra SoundTracker 25.
I bought a power cord that is supposed to plug into the fuse box, but I can not see a conceivable way of doing this, for the cord ends in two metal stubs, thicker than an average copper wire. Any suggestions?
Also, I bought a PA speaker to be placed under the hood, but I'm not sure how to snake it through the firewall. I saw pictures of the 3.7 and 5.7 gasket hole being empty, but on mine it has a cord coming out of it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Sounds like you have the 4.7; that cord is the throttle cable. You can punch a hole in the gasket for the main wiring harness, that's how I ran wires for my lights and antenna.

Get some fuse taps for the fuse block, they're little copper tabs that clip on to a fuse and allow you to tap directly into power there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot, only problem is won't punching a hole in the gasket make it more susceptible to leaks?
I don't often, but water fording is a bit of an issue, and i don't want my footwell to be a footbath.
Any experience? Or even during rain?
And do you happen to remember what fuse you tapped into? I'm guessing any empty one will work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I drilled through a gasket and worried about that, too. Easy solution was to squeeze some bathtub sealer into the hole around the wire. But if you use a punch you might get a tight seal around the wire and not need anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good, I'll try that, and try to get some pics up of the whole jury-rigged system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts