Jeep Commander Forum banner

CD player quit working

15K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Keeganner 
#1 ·
a while back my CD player quit working. It's a 6 disc in dash changer with satellite radio. All other parts of the radio seem to work fine. but it just won't even switch to CD player when you press the mode button. The weird part is that every time I open the drivers door, I can hear the CD changer trying to do something. And every so often I hear the CD player trying to make some sort of noise. I kind of wonder if it's stuck trying to eject a CD. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Mine did exactly the same thing, and the whole unit was replaced under warranty. These units are not a "dealer fix". I received my 6 CD's back in the mail about a month later. One was scratched, one was cracked, and one was missing! It must be a pisser to get the CD's out of a jammed unit!
As a side note, I have a Media Center 130 (single disc) in my Nitro, and the unit makes the same clicking/winding noises everytime I open the driver's door, but the unit plays fine. Go figure!
:eek:rangehat:

#6 ·
Sorry to ask the obvious from the two people with the problem currently, but you have tried to eject the CD's and re-insert them? I don't want to insult your intelligence, you just never mentioned it, just wanted to make sure.

You have checked the owner's manual, made sure there isn't any trouble shooting step or an alternate method of ejecting the CD?

If its just a case of the CD in there now won't play and you haven't tried any other CD's, keep in mind the heat typically in park vehicles will kill CD's, especially the CD-R's and CD-RW's. I don't have a CD Changer, but every CD radio I had, every CD problem tracked down to being a bad CD-R in the CD player.

I'm sure the more complex machinery of the changer does make it more vulnerable to failing then the single CD machines.

#8 ·
I ended up pulling my stereo out and taking it apart. I got my cd's out, but in the process I broke some plastic pieces inside. I just listen to the satellite radio most of the time anymore. Maybe one of these days I'll replace it so I can listen to cd's again.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.