Jeep Commander Forum banner

CD player stopped working

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rblapham 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I got a slight problem. I was doing some regular maintenance today tht included disconnecting the battery. When everything was all said and done I went and took the jeep for a test to notice it would not give me the option for CD player, it was only radio or the the other option. I could hear the CD player making noise when I first got in the jeep but that's it.

Could this have happened from disconnecting the battery for the maintenance I was doing that caused my CD player to crap out???

#2 ·
I had that happen to my 05 Grand Cherokee a couple years ago after putting in a new battery, still haven't got it working. I'll be watching this with interest. One thing it does is keeps cycling the CD and if left for 4 or 5 days the battery goes dead.

#4 · (Edited)
I have no experience with this issue, but did a quick google search and found a site where many others have had this same problem. Everyone started by checking fuses, connections, etc. to no avail, but one guy said he was able to fix his by doing the following:

Solution (for me): Since I was planning on buying a new changer unit anyway (and because I'm an engineer, and taking stuff apart / fixing things is what I do) I decided to take the unit apart if for no other reason that to rescue my Bob Segar CD and a few of my daughters movies. After removing the changer unit from the dash, I took one phillips screw out of the top plate to remove the top plate. Then I removed 4 phillips screws form the sides of the face plate and gently pried the tabs on the bottom of the face plate over the barbs to remove the face plate. I removed 5 more phillips screws, 2 on the top, 2 on the front, and 1 on the back to remove the actual changer mechanism from the chassis / housing. This left the mechanism connected to the main PCB by a ribbon cable, and allowed for inspection of the circuit boards (somewhat) but there were no visible defects. Then I pried out the brown ribbon cable retainer on the changer end, and removed the ribbon cable from the connector. DISCONNECTING / RECONNECTING THE CHANGER UNIT FROM THE MAIN PCB BY UNPLUGGING THE RIBBON CABLE IS WHAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. After reconnected the ribbon cable, I decided to test the unit one more time, so I put all the parts back together (without screwing anything together) and hallelujah! the CD changer functioned as expected when plugged into the dash! I removed the unit once more and took it back to my bench to fully reassemble it, and once I re-installed it in the dash, everything worked as it should.

Another proposed solution found on jeepforum.com:
MANY people are having the same issue with Chrysler CD changers:
http://autoforum.classifieds1000.com...fuse_was_reset

Some of those have discs stuck in the changers too.

You're not getting a code E-06, right? If so, Chrysler says REPLACE the unit.

The CD changer failed to establish it's link to the head unit when you put the new battery in. If you have already tried the clear button (RESETTING THE UNIT), unplug the IP-BUS cable (black cable) from the back of the changer, wait a minute (literally, 60 seconds) and plug it back in. This has worked with some after a battery change.

#5 ·
Yes if you do not run the car for several days the battery may be drained, I just run it almost daily. Your's may not be cycling like mine so just be aware. I searched the internet and saw and tried about 10 different suggestions - non had any effect. I can live without the CD but would like to get the 5 CD's out:( I even pulled the radio out and split the head unit to no effect and still could not get the CDs out. It is acting like a stuck CD to me but I know it happened right after putting in a new battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.