Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the 6 disc CD/Nav/Serrius system. Today the CD player started showing "disc error" when it was switched to CD. I have 4 CD's in the system, it shows disc error for all 4 discs, and the two other empty slots. It is constantly searching for a CD. You know the noise it makes when you switch CD's, it's making that noise constantly, even when I turn the radio off, still seraching and switching. It's going to the dealer in the morning because the things going to burn up constantly switching CD's. O btw, all the CD's are originals. Has anyone else run into this?? 1100 mile on the Jeep. The Serrius works, and the Nav works, but the CD is switching all the time. I hope they just switch it out with a new one....we will see. You would think, if there were problems, it would be with the Nav or Serrius, not the CD player.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Picked up the Commander this afternoon. The dealer ordered a new radio:D , said it will be in Friday or Monday. I also had it in for the outside air temp on the dash, reading about 6 degrees high and erriatic readings last weekend. Here is how my paperwork reads:

FOUND TSB 08-054-05 STATING THAT THE AMBIENT TEMP READING MAY SHOW 5 DEG ABOVE ACTUAL TEMP REPOSITIONED TEMP PROBE AS STATED IN TSB. IMFORMED CUSTOMER AS PER TSB DESCRIPTION THAT THE TEMP READING AT IDLE OR AT START UP AFTER A "HOT SOAK" MABE ABOVE ACTUAL TEMP, THIS IS NORMAL, AND THE READING SHOULD CHANGE TO THE CORRECT TEMP AS THE AIR FLOW FROM DRIVING INCREASES.

The service rep said the temp probe is located in the front grill somewhere, I didn't have time today to check it out.

I didn't even think to check the temp on the way home. I pulled out onto the interstate, a lifted XJ flashed me from behind. I did the Jeep wave, he came up on my right rear quarter and checked my XK out for about two miles, pulled up beside me real slow in the right lane with a big thumbs up:cool: , I returned the thumb with a wave. :D :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is what's great about the internet and this forum: a number of us have noticed the high temp reading and now one of us has shared an answer regarding the TSB. I'd asked my dealer about it and they didn't mention the TSB, so I assume it's recently released.

Thanks!

I don't know why, but the ONLY thing that's bugged me about my Commander so far has been that high temp reading. I guess I regard it as such a simple thing to get right!

Any clue as to where the the temp sensor might be, exactly?? Or a way to read the TSB? I'd move the little bugger myself if possible..

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how new the TSB is. With the temp sensor located somewhere in the front grill, well sure the temps going to go up when your slitting still. Hmmmmmmmm......If I were to install an air temp sensor, I would put it at the front of the grill inset enough so the sun dosen't shine on it in the fresh air flow. I still need to check it out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is on the left side (as you face the front grill). You can see it through the grill. My assumption is that they can reposition it away from the radiator. It does look like it is closer to the radiator than my WJ sensor was.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I found it; it's mounted just inside the grille only an inch or so in front of the auxiliary (transmission) radiator mounted on the front of the main radiator, so I can see why it wouldn't be accurate..Do all Commanders have the aux radiator? Maybe that's the difference if they don't?

As a temp fix I was wondering about putting a piece of adhesive backed heat shield directly on the radiator. The stuff that's silver reflective on one side and sticky foam on the back. Only an 1.5" square might be all I'd need. Not sure it'd stick for long to the hot radiator.

If anyone knows how they're repositioning it pls post.

tnx.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Excellent work Commo. I had the sensor relocated by my dealer, check out the pics. Is this what it looks like?

If so, this pic shows where it's been relocated too.

It's kinda hard to see the, but it's been relocated to the lower right part of the first opening of the grill (passenger side)

And, if that's it, the sunlight will hit it too. It needs shielded from the sun as well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, it was reading about 6 degrees high before. I still think it reads about 1 or 2 degrees high. It's better than it was.:) I'm with Commo, it needs a little shielding. It's right against the back side of the grill now, it's in a good spot to get fresh air. It will most likely get a good reading moving, sitting still at a light for a while will give higher readings...obviously.

Oh, btw, I haven't heard back from my dealer all week about my replacement Nav/CD/Radio unit. I guess I'll have to call them Monday.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hope fully more people wont have these kinds of problems as often.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I have not had any temp problems except when I first start in the morining.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Problems with AUX in

I have just recently purchased a 2006 Jeep COmmander Limited with the Video Entertainment System (VES) in it. I have tried to play my IPOD through the VES in the passenger area, as these are the only AUX in for the system. I purchased a red and white AUX cable, hooked it to my iPod and it does not play properly through my system. After i eject the DVD out of the sytem, it will take about a minute until it recognizes there is something plugged in (IF IT RECOGNIZES IT). WHEN it plays it will play for about a minute and then shut off. There is no rhyme or reason on getting it started. The steps i have used are:
Turn ignition on
eject DVD (as this is the only way i can get it to recognize something is
plugged in, does not recognize once item is plugged in)
turn iPod on
press play on iPod
then sometimes it will work.

I went with a cheap MP3 aux cable to hook up to the car, not a more expensive iPod car kit. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
I will have to look around but I think I recall that the iPod has to be playing BEFORE you turn the VES on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts