Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the Commander it had squeaky brakes, so the next day the car lot where I bought it had their shop put Ceramic pads on, complimentary. Squeaking cures, but I'm having some issues:

Less than desirable stopping. I'm assuming it's the type of pad. I use ceramic pads on my racecar and from my experience, they need to warm up to work properly. Unless i do some hot laps around the neighborhood in the Jeep, I don't know how they'll heat up with normal city driving. Typical highway driving the pads will be cold.

Less than 5K since the pads installed, no squeaking but now the front rotors are warped and grooved. My theory is, ceramic pads resist heat and wear more, so the rotors suffered instead.

I need to fix this this weekend. Is there a happy medium, pads that don't squeak but perform safely? Better rotors?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Don't blame the warped rotors on your ceramic pads. Jeeps are notorius for warped rotors. Search rotors here and you will see that quite a few members have had warped rotors. I had the same problem with my 2000 Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am not liking this, I just purchased ceramic pads for mine.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
I am not liking this, I just purchased ceramic pads for mine.
Ceramic pads will not cause rotors to warp. It's the cheap rotors that Chrysler uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts