Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has Anyone changed the seat cloth to leather using a Katzkins kit?
I really need detail how all three rows of seat are assemble so I would be able to disassemble with out breaking annything to replace the fabric.

If anyone has the assembly drawing for the seats that would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Has Anyone changed the seat cloth to leather using a Katzkins kit?
I really need detail how all three rows of seat are assemble so I would be able to disassemble with out breaking annything to replace the fabric.
As far as I know, no one on the forum has done this yet.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3568989/Jeep-XK-2007-Commander-MOPAR-Parts-Catalog Warning: Large File

Slide #437

This gives an exploded view, but I believe it leaves out the spines and hog rings that would give you the most difficulty.
I was also looking into installing a custom Katzkins kit myself, but labor costs for a professional to do it were only $200+-, which I consider worth it, being just a small fraction on top of the leather costs. The seats all have to come completely out, and having taken just the second row out for a different project I can honestly say that a couple hundred bucks for the whole install seems like bargain.

I would be interested, though, to learn if the Airbag electronics/OCS have to be recalibrated after having the front seats removed. Anyone know the answer to that?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
JeepRig installed a Katzkin kit:
Hmmmm, never heard of that forum member. Looks like he was around back in the day before I joined in 2007.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3568989/Jeep-XK-2007-Commander-MOPAR-Parts-Catalog Warning: Large File

Slide #437

This gives an exploded view, but I believe it leaves out the spines and hog rings that would give you the most difficulty.
I was also looking into installing a custom Katzkins kit myself, but labor costs for a professional to do it were only $200+-, which I consider worth it, being just a small fraction on top of the leather costs. The seats all have to come completely out, and having taken just the second row out for a different project I can honestly say that a couple hundred bucks for the whole install seems like bargain.

I would be interested, though, to learn if the Airbag electronics/OCS have to be recalibrated after having the front seats removed. Anyone know the answer to that?
I've removed my front seats before. As long as you dont turn on the key when the seat is removed and wires are unplugged, there shouldnt be a problem. Sometimes still the light will trip after you are finished. Better yet, just unhook battery before you unplug harness and remove seats. How much are the kits ? I've put on seat covers in my Camaro, my friends Camaro, and two Chevy IIs. I wonder if its about the same ?

·
Registered
809 Posts
...How much are the kits ? I've put on seat covers in my Camaro, my friends Camaro, and two Chevy IIs. I wonder if its about the same ?
Depending on options, they seem to start around $1000 (basic, 3-row, single tone, leather/vinyl mix, uninstalled) and can work their way up to around $2000+ (two-tone, piping, custom logos, heated seats, etc). I am looking at about $1700 for the latter installed by a KC area certified Katzkins retailer.

Katzkins does have a partnership with Mopar and kits can be purchased through the Mopar Parts Site/Dept, but they seem to skip over the available options, cast more, and I don't know who installs them. Supposedly, though, for the prices listed, all the Katzkins options can be included, but I don't trust the parts guys to get it right, so I went elsewhere.

http://jeepparts.mopar.com/jeep/commander-accessories.html

·
Registered
423 Posts
I installed a complete Katzkin leather interior in my Acura Legend a couple years ago. It was the best purchase I ever did for that car. Honestly it's not hard at all. Set aside a whole day and get someone to help hold everything in place. You can order the hog rings and hog ring pliers from Jegs for a good price.

I paid about $750 for my kit and maybe $30 for hog rings and pliers? I remember getting quoted anywhere from $200-450 for the install. That's when I decided I could do it on my own. haha

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hmmmm, never heard of that forum member. Looks like he was around back in the day before I joined in 2007.
Hey Guys, sorry I haven't been on the site in a while. I guess I am an old timer at this point!:)

Yes, I did do a Katzkin Kit and IMO I highly recommend it. I did the two toned leather, much like the Overland style and it was a great upgrade. I did have a local shop install it. I believe I was referred to them by Katzkin.

All in all I would recommend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts