Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all. When you change the diff oil do you take the cover right off? Is it ok to clean the s*it out of it with brake cleaner? I plan on getting Mobil 1 syn to refill...should I get 'the' Chrysler additive? Thanks much!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the rear diff:

You should pull the cover off. Clean the cover with brake cleaner, and dry it properly. Do not clean the diff with brake cleaner, since you won't be able to get it all out. You can wipe down exposed parts with a paper towel, but use no cleaners or water. Make sure you clean the old gasket off both surfaces to ensure you won't have any leaks when you put everything back together. I don't think you need Chrysler's additive for a QTII system; it's exclusively for QDII.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Evening all. When you change the diff oil do you take the cover right off? Is it ok to clean the s*it out of it with brake cleaner? I plan on getting Mobil 1 syn to refill...should I get 'the' Chrysler additive? Thanks much!
If you REALLY want to pull the cover, you certainly could but it's not necessary. I have a small manual pump, and just pump it out & refill with synthetic.

My understanding is that the Chrysler additive is a friction modifier that is only necessary in the ELSD differentials found in the QDII system. If you have QTII, they are open differentials and the additive is not necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts