Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to take pictures and document, but it turned out to be X rated with all the swearing.
What I thought was going to be a 20 minute job took 90 minutes. First I saw no belt diagram so I made one before removing the belt. Only removed the intake air box in front of the throttle body, 2 hose clamps and one electric plug. The old belt just about fell off - that was easy. Now to put the new belt on - they built the commander for very small hands. Squeezing my medium American hands between hoses, wires, pulleys and supports with a trouble light that never pointed in the right direction, trying to start with this pulley, no that pulley, no the other one (starting with the tensioner seems the best) . On about the 20th try had success and checked the routing and fit onto the pulleys- it was on. Grease up to my elbows and about 15 cuts and gashes. Started up and all is well. Saved $120 over having the dealer do it. I later found this picture of a 5.7 Hemi and this is exactly the same as my Commander 06 Hemi 5.7. Now I am good for another 90,000 miles.
Oh on the picture - put your hand between your eyes and the picture - that is what it looks like in real life to work on.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be doing it in a little while. I'm at 66,000 miles on mine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
It only took me about 10 minutes to replace mine. I have found the 5.7 commander serpentine belt to be much easier to change than many other vehicles I have worked on. You should try changing a belt on a Saab 9-5 Turbo!!!

·
Administrator
6,233 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be doing it in a little while. I'm at 66,000 miles on mine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm at around 85,500 and I haven't even given it a thought.

At last check, I didn't notice any wear on mine and I am under the hood quite often (once every couple of weeks) detailing the engine.

Since I am out of CONUS now, I'll take a closer look at it in April when I get back to VA.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the belt as preventative maintenance, old one looked very good and is now stashed in the jack compartment as a spare. If that belt breaks you are dead in the water on the side of the road!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It only took me about 10 minutes to replace mine. I have found the 5.7 commander serpentine belt to be much easier to change than many other vehicles I have worked on. You should try changing a belt on a Saab 9-5 Turbo!!!
Just about all my previous cars I have had were easy, even ones with the old V belts - 2 or 3 on some, were easy. The newer ones are getting carried away with shear number of parts driven by one belt. I forgot to mention I have lost sight in my right eye a year ago messing up my depth perception, try doing it with one eye closed:wink3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts