Jeep Commander Forum banner

Changing Spark Plugs - 3.7 Discussion

122K views 123 replies 49 participants last post by  Nitemare3219 
#1 ·
So, I haven't seen anyone say...

What is the proper gap for the XK? I have the 3.7L so changing the sparkplugs shouldn't be as difficult as the 5.7L.

Like Haags, I haven't changed my own spark plugs since my 83' Monte Carlo...

AJGuy84, that tool is very interesting. I'm gonna have to check to see if they are available at Autozone.

#2 ·
3.7L Platinum spark plug upgrade

alright so i am looking into changing the plugs on my veh.//. it curently does not have platinum plugs. I am just curious if there is any issue with replacing the non platinum plugs with platinum maybe i will get a little better gas mileage since it will be a better and cleaner spark, Has anyone installed platinums in there 3.7l xk. help...

#3 ·
I am curious also keep toying with the idea but havent committed.

#4 ·
I just found out that the 3.7L engines have the NGK V power plugs. That does sound better than Champion, but they still are the low end plugs. Can anyone help me out on this situation.

I have heard that the dealers would like to stick with the OE plugs because the Jeep engines do get hotter and because the computer will not work with different plugs.

I can't believe that.

#6 ·
bsnyder717 said:
alright so i am looking into changing the plugs on my veh.//. it curently does not have platinum plugs. I am just curious if there is any issue with replacing the non platinum plugs with platinum maybe i will get a little better gas mileage since it will be a better and cleaner spark, Has anyone installed platinums in there 3.7l xk. help...
Get the NKG's. Not to mention they are 100,000 miles plugs so you won't have to change them for a while.

#7 ·
the plugs that are in the 3.7L are non platinum they are basic champion plugs. CRAP.. lol that is why i am interested in replaceing the plugs with a platinum or maybe NGK i was jsut curious if any one has done this and had problems or how the truck ran?

#8 ·
Which NGKs do you get... There are 4 options I guess not 100% sure. Iridiums or Platinums.

#9 · (Edited)
AKFossil said:
Which NGKs do you get... There are 4 options I guess not 100% sure. Iridiums or Platinums.
Get the Iridiums Part# ZFR6FIX-11 They are worth it cause they will last way longer than the coppers.

Iridium

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200(=F) higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, platinum had been favored for long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Iridium industrial spark plugs have been around for years, but still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium allows NGK to manufacture their iridium ultra-fine wire center electrode to 0.7mm. One of the finest firing points in the industry! (Thus far there has been no problems reported regarding use of iridium plugs with nitrous oxide.)

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1433829

#12 ·
I believe that all 3.7L engines have the V power NGK plugs. It has the part number on a sticker under the hood.

I would like to upgrade mine too instead of putting the cheap $2 plugs. I have heard that we should stick with the OE plugs because of the computer. I still have not got a clear answer on this issue out of calling 3 dealers.

#14 ·
bob123 said:
I believe that all 3.7L engines have the V power NGK plugs. It has the part number on a sticker under the hood.

I would like to upgrade mine too instead of putting the cheap $2 plugs. I have heard that we should stick with the OE plugs because of the computer. I still have not got a clear answer on this issue out of calling 3 dealers.
Hell try them and see all, it would do is give a misfire check engine light its not going to hurt anything.

#16 · (Edited)
Just bought the NGK Iridium IX and they were not pre-gapped :( checked the gaps and they ranged from .040 to .045 (I was told the GAP required was .044 by the parts dept). After some tense moments in gappin they are ready to put on. Hope I didn't break anything.

The part number if your curious is ZFR6FIX-11 / 6441

#17 ·
OK Install done... what a pain! Plugs 4 & 6 was way to tight from factory... so 2 knuckle busters. :mad:

Also make sure your rubber booty stays in your plug socket :( not much fun trying to pull it off the plug due to how tight everything around it is. :eek:

Engine purrs more and when you rev it is much much quicker to respond. I can't wait till I clock out to drive it home and see how she feels :D

#19 ·
Yeap, I would say that it was about time to change them. That node is pretty much deteriorating.

#20 ·
bob123 said:
That would be a pain to change them back and I rather be safe than sorry.

You could try it if you want.

Also, the plugs are inconvenient to get to.
I am not worried! I think it's BS about them "messing something up". I'll run them. And only have to change them once than every 30,000 miles!!!

I changed alot harder to get to plugs than these! But I work as a aircraft mechanic! LOl...

#21 ·
I may be crazy but I thought a while back someone posted pics and a detailed description on changing plugs for the Commander. If someone knows can they direct me to the link. After seeing bob123's picture I am wondering if I should change the factory plugs and go for something better and sooner than 30,000 miles.

#25 ·
Loving them, cant give you any scientific data but for the driving I do it seems to eat a tad less gas and has more power when cruising at 65 and need to pass. So a good investment so far in my opinion. the true test will be in 20k miles when I pull them to look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.