Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Platinum or Iridium plug upgrade for 5.7 Hemi

Has anyone upgraded there spark plugs yet with Platinum or Iridium plugs on there 5.7 Hemi?

If so what kind and how do you like them? Can you tell the difference in how it runs and mpg?

I'm looking for any feedback before I spend the money on this upgrade.

Pls also send links where to buy them for the best price.

Thx, TexasHemi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Platinum or Iridium plug upgrade for 5.7 Hemi

DB_OHIO

Thanks for the link, however I read it already and it's talking about the 4.7 and not the 5.7 Hemi plug upgrade.

If you’re out there with a Hemi and you've done a Platinum or Iridium plug upgrade, I'd like your feedback.

TexasHemi

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

TexasHemi said:
DB_OHIO

Thanks for the link, however I read it already and it's talking about the 4.7 and not the 5.7 Hemi plug upgrade.

If you’re out there with a Hemi and you've done a Platinum or Iridium plug upgrade, I'd like your feedback.

TexasHemi
Did you ever get any feedback on this yet? I'm curious also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No, CrzCajun. I may just do the upgrade and write my own review after I have the results. I probably wont do it for a while seeing that I only have under 9,000 miles on my Commander. I just was wondering if it made a big difference, I would do it right away. Thanks for inquiring.

Later, TexasHemi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, I have 18,000 miles on my Hemi and was revisiting the plug upgrade again.

Does anyone have any info for the Hemi plug upgrade?

Thanks, TexasHemi

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome back TexasHemi, haven't seen you around for a long time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O I'm here all the time 49er, just lurking in the shadows. I only post when I have useful info or good feedback.

Thanks though 49er.

Getting HOT here and the Hemi does not like the heat! But that's old hat for you!

TexasHemi

Go Bears!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I think we're all waiting on you so we could get some feedback!!! I think you should do the Iridium.

·
Registered
148 Posts
He Tex,

I have the iridium plugs from Champion. Certainly felt a response difference and they have worked great. More pep and less sluggish. Hope this helps, PS- Pep Boys had them for 699 a pop, got 6 in DE and the popz picked up 10 in NY for me during that sale.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
curleycommander said:
He Tex,

I have the iridium plugs from Champion. Certainly felt a response difference and they have worked great. More pep and less sluggish. Hope this helps, PS- Pep Boys had them for 699 a pop, got 6 in DE and the popz picked up 10 in NY for me during that sale.
Have you noticed any change in MPG since you changed them?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah I did, If I take it easy it was a little better in city and hwy. about 1-2 mpg more while I was easy on it. Worse because they perform better when I pound on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback Curley!

TexasHemi

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm going to put a set of XP 5263, which is the Autolite Iridium plug in mine, but it's a high demand plug right now so I have to wait before I can get the rest. However, if I want to put in the APP's (double Plat) I can do it now. I just don't know why my factory plugs need to be changed out at 30K.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know there has been a number of discussions on what plug to use and such. I just called the dealer to schedule my 30k service, and had them break down some of these costs. They told me $350 to change the spark plugs!! I understand there are 16 of them and that is $100 alone. My question is how difficult is it to change the plugs on the 5.7 Hemi? Is there another post that on changing the plugs? If so maybe somebody can point me to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey rem,

iis a little bit of a pain [removed], you'll need a torque wrench b/c they need to be put to a specific ft/lbs. and some diletric grease and you'll be good. I put in iridium plugs and love the performance. If you are up to it let me know and I can get you more specific instructions from alldata.

·
Registered
54 Posts
for the money I am interested in knowing more and possibly taking on the project. I have both a 3/8" and a 1/2" torque wrench so that is not an issue. How would you rate in on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being changing the air filter and 10 being pulling an engine or tranny (I know a wide range).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm also interested in these details! I ordered a set of NGK coppers, but I haven't changed plugs since my 1984 Fiero many moons ago.

On a related topic, is there a Jeep Owner's Bible for the Commander?

·
Registered
282 Posts
i think most of us grasp the concept of how to replace the spark plugs. The question seems to be, are they fairly accessible or does some of the engine or suspension need to be taken apart to get to them? rem correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
54 Posts
tripod, thanks for clarifying for me. The is exactly what I am asking. How accessible are the plugs on the hemi for replacement?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts