Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for well over an hour for a "how-to" on changing the front and rear diffs. This is my first 4WD and I've NEVER done this before. I can tell from nearly every post on the subject that the best way to do it (at least the first time or two) is to remove the covers. I'm going to buy 2 4oz bottles of friction additive and 3 qts of Mobile 1 75W-140. Unfortunately all I know is what to buy, but not how to actually do it!

Can someone please give me a quick "Front And Rear Diffs for Dummies". I'd appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You mean how to change the diff oil (not the diff itself)

I just changed the fluid in both diffs yesterday in a workshop, but it seem to be easy though.

For the front you need to remove the skid plate below the engine and remove the fill plug and then the drain plug, let all oil out of the diff and refill to the bottom of the fill hole,, it is little tricky to fill the oil due to the location of the fill plug. you may need fill hose.

For the rear one there is no drain plug so you have to remove the hole diff cover and let all oil out, clean the contact surface and apply RTV sealant to the contact area, put the cover back and fill the oil to 1 cm (1/2") below the fill hole.

Total oil capacity for both diffs 3 bottles

If you have QD-II, then you need to add the oil friction additive.

·
Registered
282 Posts
do a search. i did mine a while ago and asked. instead of the mobil. try redline, it has the additive included already and is around the same price.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Addition: its better to lift the vehicle from the chassis and hang the rear axle to make it easier to fill the oil

·
Registered
282 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts