Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - everything seems to be all over the board on pricing, oils, etc. I need to do my 30K and am looking for a good source for the axle fluid, transfer case fluid and transmission fluid. The dealer is out of their mind. They want $60 a quart???? Give me a break. This is the old Somerset dealer in Troy MI. Closed the sales office but the service area is open. The guys seemed clueless.

Does anyone have the part number for the axle fluid?

Looking for a good online source for fluids. Also trying to figure out if I have the limited slip to see if I really need the additive. I kind of doubt it but bought my 06 Commander used and it did not have a manual. Its a 4.7 with the tow package. Is there any obvious parts that I can spot to tell me?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you sure that info is correct. There is no way they are selling fluid for $60 a quart. You might want to try a different dealer. For the differential fluid use 75W140 synthetic gear oil. I recommend Mobil 1.

You porbablly dont have the front and rear limited slip differentials as you have the 4.7 liter. It is possible but they arent as common. It would say QUADRA DRIVE II just below the gear shifter if you did have the limited slip differentials.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For the differential fluid use 75W140 synthetic gear oil. I recommend Mobil 1.
The M1 is $18 per quart at Pep Boys, although I'm sure it can be found for less online. Along with the gasket and friction modifier, you're pushing $100 just for the DIY differential fluid change.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What is the capacity of the front and rear diffs?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Front

C200F (QT I & QT II)
57.5 oz (± 2 oz.)

C200FE (QD II)
57.5 oz (± 2 oz.)

Rear

C213R ( QT I & QT II)
70.0 oz. (± 2 oz.)

C213RE (QD II)
75.5 oz. (± 2 oz.)

226RBI (Dana 44)
76.0 oz. (± 2 oz.)

All models, all axles:
Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)
Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $30.00)

*NOTE: Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.

SRT8 models DO NOT require Limited Slip Additive.

Front and rear axle drain plug torque: 44 ft. lbs/60 N·m
Front axle cover bolts: 41 ft. lbs/56 N·m
Rear axle cover bolts: 30 ft. lbs/41 N·m

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The M1 is $18 per quart at Pep Boys, although I'm sure it can be found for less online. Along with the gasket and friction modifier, you're pushing $100 just for the DIY differential fluid change.
My dealer wants $150.00 per axel. I bought the fulids from the dealer $70.00 and local shop changed it for $40.00.

Also mine 06 is the 4.7 with QDII so it needs the friction mod in both axels. Is this only available from the dealer? I may change to Mobil 1

·
Registered
401 Posts
My dealer wants $150.00 per axel. I bought the fulids from the dealer $70.00 and local shop changed it for $40.00.

Also mine 06 is the 4.7 with QDII so it needs the friction mod in both axels. Is this only available from the dealer? I may change to Mobil 1
Friction modifier\reducer was next to the M1 at pep boys. I think it was $7 for a 4oz tube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Don't see any badge about the Quadra drive but will have a different dealer confrim. Heard good things about Royal Purple 75W-140. But trying to confirm if I need to bother with additional additive. Anyone else looked at this?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks. Don't see any badge about the Quadra drive but will have a different dealer confrim. Heard good things about Royal Purple 75W-140. But trying to confirm if I need to bother with additional additive. Anyone else looked at this?
Im actually running Royal Purple in my front differential and Mobil 1 in the rear. I had a freek accident and had no choice but to fill the front up with Royal Purple at that time as no one had Mobil 1 in stock. Ill be swapping it out soon and changing back to Mobil 1 in the front. Ill let you know how the Royal Purple looks when I drain it out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I bought the M1 the guy in the shop was raving about the Royal Purple. However I trusted the advice of those on this forum more than him (because I hadn't heard of the RP previously). Also the Royal Purple was $2 per quart more than the M1.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If additive was added to a vehicle that doesn't require it, would it hurt anything ?

Nope it wont hurt anything. Most fully synthetic gear oils already have friction additive in them. But the dealer wants you to add 4 oz. of friction additive anyways depending on what 4wd system you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow - everything seems to be all over the board on pricing, oils, etc. I need to do my 30K and am looking for a good source for the axle fluid, transfer case fluid and transmission fluid. The dealer is out of their mind. They want $60 a quart???? Give me a break. This is the old Somerset dealer in Troy MI. Closed the sales office but the service area is open. The guys seemed clueless.

Does anyone have the part number for the axle fluid?

Looking for a good online source for fluids. Also trying to figure out if I have the limited slip to see if I really need the additive. I kind of doubt it but bought my 06 Commander used and it did not have a manual. Its a 4.7 with the tow package. Is there any obvious parts that I can spot to tell me?

Any help is appreciated.
OK. Thanks for all the help. I finally got everything straightened out. Ended up using Royal Purple 75W-140 (3-1/2qts total) ($18qt - Murrays Auto) in both axles. I do not have a limited slip but even if I did I was able to confirm with the RP folks that the additive is already included. Wasting money to add more. Original dealer was probably confused about the oil price.
Bought the NV245/247 transfer case fluid from the dealer for $12/qt. Used slightly under 2 qts. Took a little time to find the 14MM hex for the front axle - you also need a 10mm hex for the transfer case. Not a bad job just kind of messy. May buy a little pump that you use a drill with next time to move fluids.
Next project is the transmission. Need to check around and see if its really necessary to flush the trans or just drop the pan and replace the filter. Dealer told me $250 which seems pricey.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There are no manufacturers that recommend flushing of the trans, or engine for that matter.
Even though dropping the pan changes only 4 to 5 qts. (total, dry fill about 10 qts.) the manufacturer and oil companies agree that is enouph fluid to re-new the detergent and other properties of the remaining fluid.
The concern is the flushing process can potentially dislodge debris that would normally remain trapped were it is. That debris could then work its way into the valve body or other precision clearanced area and actually cause a failure.
The reality is, if you service (oil changes, filters etc.) all the internally lubricated components in a timely and mileage specific manor, there will never be any debris that would require flushing, be it engine, trans, transfer case or final drives.
Some have seen trans flushing machines with manufacturer paint jobs.
These are for flushing the trans coolers and lines after a catastriphic internal trans failure and were never intended to be a maintenence tool.
Dealers have found a new way to make you believe you are protecting your investment when in fact, they are protecting theirs.

Save your money,
Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are no manufacturers that recommend flushing of the trans, or engine for that matter.
Even though dropping the pan changes only 4 to 5 qts. (total, dry fill about 10 qts.) the manufacturer and oil companies agree that is enouph fluid to re-new the detergent and other properties of the remaining fluid.
The concern is the flushing process can potentially dislodge debris that would normally remain trapped were it is. That debris could then work its way into the valve body or other precision clearanced area and actually cause a failure.
The reality is, if you service (oil changes, filters etc.) all the internally lubricated components in a timely and mileage specific manor, there will never be any debris that would require flushing, be it engine, trans, transfer case or final drives.
Some have seen trans flushing machines with manufacturer paint jobs.
These are for flushing the trans coolers and lines after a catastriphic internal trans failure and were never intended to be a maintenence tool.
Dealers have found a new way to make you believe you are protecting your investment when in fact, they are protecting theirs.

Save your money,
Rob
Bingo.

Those flushing systems were designed to flush cash out of your pocket right into the dealer's pocket.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Friction modifier\reducer was next to the M1 at pep boys. I think it was $7 for a 4oz tube
Checked at the local Pep Boys and they did not have the friction modifier and the sales guy didn't know what I wanted. They did have the purple stuff with it. I am confused on the capacity, when I bought gear oil from the dealer they said 2 qt + modifier per axel. Is this correct. My OM does not give the capacity at least were I can find it. What I read on here the rear took more than 2 qts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Checked at the local Pep Boys and they did not have the friction modifier and the sales guy didn't know what I wanted. They did have the purple stuff with it. I am confused on the capacity, when I bought gear oil from the dealer they said 2 qt + modifier per axel. Is this correct. My OM does not give the capacity at least were I can find it. What I read on here the rear took more than 2 qts

It's approximately 2 quarts per axle plus 4 oz. of friction additive depending on your 4wd system. If I recall correctly, last time I changed the differential fluids I bought 4 quarts and think I had just less then a half of a quart left over when I was finished.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Here's a duplicate of the post I made in another thread on the subject.

I just placed my order from Amsoil on line .. they ship from the closest distributor so it should ship from within Canada for me.

I ordered ALL Amsoil products for the Transfer Case and both Differentials.

1. Product ID: ATHQT-EA
Product Name: Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid : 1 QUART Price: $10.95
Quantity: 2

This is the Special Transfercase oil

2.Product ID: SVOQTC-EA
Product Name: SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant : (1) 946-ml bottle
Price: $20.75
Quantity: 4

This is the Differential fluid

3. Product ID: ADATB-EA
Product Name: Slip Lock Gear Oil Additive
Price: $10.50
Quantity: 2

This is the friction modifier

All these products are recommended replacement for the Mopar oils, I am of the opinion, based on research and conversation with the Amsoil rep, that these products are exact duplicates of the Mopar stuff.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is exactly what I just switched to this past week! I didn't pay as much though altogether with shipping my bill was 123.00. Also you will need a 14MM Hex Socket (31.00 from Snap-on guy) for the front diff. (on QT 2) models, and a 3/8 hex for the T-Case...this is a much improved set up over the factory oils which require 30,000 mile intervals, as to with amsoil it is 100,000 mile intervals. I will not run it for that long though, 75,000 will be sufficiant enough. I will be switching everything over to ams here very soon...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts