Jeep Commander Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Why is it that...

I'm reviewing the maintenance log for my '06 Hemi Limited QDII. Under the "A" maintenance schedule there isn't a single instance that requires the drain and fill of the front/rear axels. It calls for the drain and fill of the transfer case thrice in the first 102K miles of operation, though. Does that mean that the axel fluid will last indefinitely under schedule "A" driving? That sounds fishy to me. What would be a good interval for axel drain/fill? Severe duty schedule "B" calls for it every 30K. Any inputs?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hmmmm... ill have to check my manual when I get home. I'm almost positive that my 07 manual calls out diff fluid changes every 15k miles for QTII using the severe schedule.... not 30k

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
And fwiw I'm still a bit iffy whether I'm going to put the Amsoil ATHQT Tractor Fluid in my tcase or get it from the dealer......

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
My 2010 Owners Manual, that combined the normal and severe duty schedules (stipulating which was which), states it as.

Every 18k miles, inspect axle fluid, change axle fluid if you use the vehicle for police, taxi, fleet use, off-road or frequent towing.

So, I take it to mean to check axle fluid every 18k miles for normal duty, change axle fluid every 18k miles for severe duty.

I agree, no fluid change ever for the axle is probably too little, while every 18k miles for anything short of true severe duty is too often. Personally I change my axle fluid every 30k miles, it can't hurt to change fluid more often then recommended or needed; PROVIDED, you use the proper fluid and procedures. I use my Jeep for short trips, and occassional light off-roading and severe weather driving over my other vehicles, so it sees a little more snow and slush than the other vehicles.

BTW, I think its been settled in this and other threads, BUT, only QDII has ELSD's and require adding friciton modifier to the axle fluid. The axles with ELSD's have 12 bolts holding on the cover, while the open differentials have 10 bolts, as well as all the other clues for the different 4X4 systems.

Friction modifier reduces the slippereness of the fluid. Sure, it doesn't reduce it enough to hamper how well it protects and lubricates the axle, so you shouldn't have to worry about using it. BUT, if you don't need it, why use it, at the very least its a waste of money, but NOT using only helps the fluid protect and lubricate the axle better. Again, that is for open diff's, without friction modifier, in an ELSD, the friction material will slip and wear out faster, so you definitely need it with an ESLD.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
OK I have my manual in front of me. Figures posted below are in miles.

SCHEDULE B
"Drain and refill the front and rear axles" @ 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k, etc (15k increments)
"Drain the transfer case and refill" @ 30k, 60k, etc (30k increments)
"Drain and refill the automatic trans fluid, and filers (if equipped)" @ 60k, 120k, etc (60k increments)

SCHEDULE A
Drain the transfer case and refill" @ 30k, 60k, etc (30k increments)
No mention of differentials or transmission....

Read your manual carefully
Mine says "Most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed for Schedule B" and that Schedule B applies if ANY of the following apply to your driving:

• Day or night temps below 32F
  • Stop and go driving (everyone?)
  • Excessive engine idling
  • Driving in dusty conditions
  • Short trips of less than 10 miles (a lot of people)
  • More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather above 90F (applies to a lot of highway commuters... so those that dont fall under "stop and go" aren't out of the woods!)
  • Trailer towing
  • Heavy loading
  • Taxi, police or delivery service
  • Off-road or desert driving

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
From the 2010 Owners Manual:

18,000 Miles (30,000 km) or
18 Months Maintenance
Service Schedule

❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil
filter.
❏ Rotate tires.
❏ Inspect the front and rear axle fluid,
change if using your vehicle for police,
taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer
towing.

So they've obviously changed the intervals and even the normal schedule for axles, you have to at least inspect the fluid.

My 2010 OM doesn't define severe duty, its just one schedule and they list the conditions for the servicing, if you meet the conditions pull it at that interval.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Matt, I'm reading the '06 maint. logbook part #83-003-7326 06-10-05. This one doesn't mention tranny fluid/filter changes under schedule "A" either! Why? Is it because Chrysler assumes everyone to be operating under schedule "B"? One would think that Chrysler would call for at least one tranny service every 102K miles. I think I'll do the axels every 60k along with the tranny service and the transfer case every 30K along with the plugs. Well, I guess I'm off to the parts store this weekend for a basket-full of fluids. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah i have NO clue why they wouldn't list any fluids for the diffs or trans under schedule A... i thought i was crazy at first... i wonder if its some weird oversight...

Regardless, changing the axle fluids is pretty easy. Since i keep all of my vehicles on 5k oil change/tire rotation intervals i'll just go by the 15k for the axles for my jeep and call it good. Everythings divisible by 5 and 15... sure makes it easy to keep track of maintenance :)

... i wouldn't hesitate to do 30k diff fluid changes either though. I've always been an "over maintainer" :eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I just got spoke with Amsoil and ordered all the fluids and additive needed to do the axels and transfer case. The rep (sorry, I don't remember the fellow's name) reminded me to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. I asked him why and he said that the higher pressures and friction in the transfer case and axels did not allow extended duty for those fluids. The engine and tranny oils, he said, were a different matter all together. I was disappointed at that bit of news; I figured on getting twice the longevity out of Amsoil products as compared to the OEM or high quality third party stuff. I placed the order anyway just to give it a go. 2 qts, of T-case fluid, 4 qts of axel and 2 4oz. tubes of friction modifier came to $111.89 delivered. I'm guessing I just paid a 30% premium to satisfy my curiosity.:notallthere:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's good to know, guess I need to change my diffs next weekend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow - everything seems to be all over the board on pricing, oils, etc. I need to do my 30K and am looking for a good source for the axle fluid, transfer case fluid and transmission fluid. The dealer is out of their mind. They want $60 a quart???? Give me a break. This is the old Somerset dealer in Troy MI. Closed the sales office but the service area is open. The guys seemed clueless.

Does anyone have the part number for the axle fluid?

Looking for a good online source for fluids. Also trying to figure out if I have the limited slip to see if I really need the additive. I kind of doubt it but bought my 06 Commander used and it did not have a manual. Its a 4.7 with the tow package. Is there any obvious parts that I can spot to tell me?

Any help is appreciated.
IMG_4019.jpg

·
Administrator
6,950 Posts

61 - 74 of 74 Posts