Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into the maintenances schedule (A) to check when should I change the transmission oil, surprisingly I didn't find it there !!! went through the list several times and didn't find it !!

Then I checked schedule (B) and found it there first at 60K miles (100,000 km) :eek: and to be changed every 60K miles !!!!!

Isn't that too late to change the transmission oil ?! :confused:

18K miles on my Commander so far, and I was thinking about changing the transmission oil on 20K !!

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
it depends on your driving style.

i would say if you are in the sand a lot and dusty conditions it might be better to change it more often. its cheaper to change the transmission fluid then replace the whole transmission.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.7commander said:
it depends on your driving style.

i would say if you are in the sand a lot and dusty conditions it might be better to change it more often. its cheaper to change the transmission fluid then replace the whole transmission.
That make sense.... but what about you? are you going to change the oil on 60K or earlier?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had mine flushed out at 40K miles. I believe that we in Arizona have a very similar climate to you in Saudi Arabia, although I've never been there.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AJGuy84 said:
I had mine flushed out at 40K miles. I believe that we in Arizona have a very similar climate to you in Saudi Arabia, although I've never been there.
Was it advised by the dealer or you decided to do so?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a very good answer from robby via PM about this issue, which I would quote in here for others to benefit from it. Thanks Rob :)

Hi Ahmed,
I think the 60k interval is a bit long.
Myself? I probably would use a 50k interval unless I was towing more than 25% of the time.
Chrysler feels that light duty use requires no service at all, and I'm confident they have nothing to gain by recommending that. You wouldn't catch me doing that though.
I believe that your use may require maintenence a step beyond the norm due to ambient temp. and your frequent off road endevors.
With that in mind, I'd say every 25k would prove satisfactory.
I do not recommend flushing, nor does any manufacturer. The potential of dislodging debris that ends up elseware in the trans is high.
Simply, drain fluid [drop pan] ,clean pan/replace filter/assemble w/new gasket.
Even though you have not drained all the fluid, the detergents and high pressure additives in the 4 or so quarts will be enouph to restore the balance to the remaining fluid.
Remember that the fluid should be changed regardless of mileage if it appears or smells burned.

I hope that helps a bit,
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts