Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You get what you pay for. For my money, I only use name brand equipment on my truck. Why use cheap stuff on such an expensive vehicle?

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
i built a custom intake using parts from an ebay kit but they dont make and actualy good kit for ebay to replace the whole intake housing and all. I have an intake that actually runs from my throttle body to my rf headlight and it is sitting in a cutom air box. The k/n still runs throught that factory box that is like mounted to the throttle body and it is sooooo restrictive. I took that off and built my own and noticed a nice power increase, nice deeper tone , and also a decent mpg increase. It is all the same diameter tubing and all it is just i only spent maybe all of 50 dollars and i am very happy with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Figured I'd revisit this since I cannot justify spending $220+ on a tube with a K&N filter on the end. Has anyone put something like this on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370102353605&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a AFEII or K&N on there but unless i was guaranteeing myself 2-3 MPG increase, I'm not going to buy an expensive intake.

Has anyone tried an Ebay intake yet?

bsnyder717, do you have pics/instructions of your custom intake?

·
Registered
160 Posts
i built a custom intake using parts from an ebay kit but they dont make and actualy good kit for ebay to replace the whole intake housing and all. I have an intake that actually runs from my throttle body to my rf headlight and it is sitting in a cutom air box. The k/n still runs throught that factory box that is like mounted to the throttle body and it is sooooo restrictive. I took that off and built my own and noticed a nice power increase, nice deeper tone , and also a decent mpg increase. It is all the same diameter tubing and all it is just i only spent maybe all of 50 dollars and i am very happy with it.
I would also like to see pictures as well. What throttle body spacer r you running?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I can't imagine any h/p or mileage increase from any intake system during normal street driving.
These systems that pull HOT underhood air, in theory should decrease both due to thinner avilable air.
Your factory system likely causes no restriction below 4000 R.P.M.
That being said, a system that directs outside air and has minimum bends MAY enhance performance, but only at wide open throttle.
If however, you are looking for that neat sound of a low restriction intake only, this or one of the majors (K&N or the like) may be what you are looking for.

Generally speaking, if the operating parameters of the engine (IT IS REGARDED AS A AIR PUMP) have not been altered, I.E. cam changes, or anything that changes its airflow reqirements, is stock, then no amount of intake mods will be noticeable.
You may see a H.P. increase on a dyno as the engine reaches R.P.M. above 4000 and up to its redline, but thats about it.

Hope I didn't muddy the water too much,
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Figured I'd revisit this since I cannot justify spending $220+ on a tube with a K&N filter on the end. Has anyone put something like this on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370102353605&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Don't be fooled buy this kit! Its not really an intake but what they call a "torque tube" that basically replaces the air box with a piece of tube and a very very very very very crappy filter. I ran one for a short time and didn't get anthing out of it. I do however have a home made intake that replaces all the pipe from the throttle body to the filter (k&n) and it works great. The torque tube has no shield from the heat of the engine and is too far back from the grill to get any good, power making, cold air in. I built my own intake because I had some scrap materials around to make the shielding and I had previously bought the K&N filter to replace the crappy filter that came with the ebay kit. Total of tubing and filter was around $170, sheet metal and aluminum was free. Here is the important thing! if you make your own shield don't use aluminum for the main part of the shield it transfers the heat through too easily and makes your intake worthless. I don't have a full write up but here are some pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts