Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever experience this on the Commander? I did a quick search last night when I got home and found a thread on a Tacoma forum from like 2004 saying it was a pretty easy fix on that platform, but the stealership wanted to charge $800 for it. Anyone have experience on our platform or a Jeep period? Or is there a recall that I may not be aware of?

Edit:

Well, looks like I may be spending $400 or so...found this thread on JeepGarage...

Jeep Garage Thread

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, got a quote from a local shop, will be ~$500 to have it fixed.

$150 for labor
$327 for the part
$20 for filter+fluids

Even the guy at the shop said it was unusual to have this happen at only 82,000 miles. :(

·
Administrator
16,139 Posts
Well, got a quote from a local shop, will be ~$500 to have it fixed.

$150 for labor
$327 for the part
$20 for filter+fluids

Even the guy at the shop said it was unusual to have this happen at only 82,000 miles. :(
There have been quite a few reports by forum members of the shift module going bad. And most of them had a lot less mileage than yours. Search the forum for "shift control module". If that doesn't help then use google advanced search.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
P0750 - Shift Solenoid A Malfunction

with the quote of
$150 for labor
$327 for the part
$20 for filter+fluids

Sounds like a solenoid deep in the transmission that needs to be replaced. I thought I did see another post on this. $327 sounds like a lot for a solenoid, but I can believe there is more to this part than just being a simple solenoid.

The "Shift Control Module" sounds like something totally different, and I've more than a couple posts about this. That is the shift lever in the passenger compartment, that I guess, has an electronic control module that just sends digital messages to other components about what position the lever has been moved too, so they can change appropriately, including the trans shift to the correct mode. I also am shocked this part costs $500-$700, what about it makes it so expensive, as well, why would something so simple be failing so often.

It might be worth asking if they are related.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a slight update...

Went out to my lunch break to run errands, check engine light was on when I pulled out of the parking lot.
Made 1st stop at Gamestop, left parking lot, check engine light still on...
Made 2nd stop at post office, left parking lot, check engine light still on...
Made 3rd stop at Walgreens, left parking lot, check engine light turns off...
Made 4th and final stop at a hot wing place, check engine light still off.

Now I suppose the only thing I can think of that would cause it not to turn on was during this 45 minute run, I never exceeded 55mph as I wasn't on the interstate. So I'm wondering on my way home will it occur again. Another thing I may try is to pull the battery for a few minutes when I get home to reset the ECU. How long does it need to be removed?

I still plan to take it into the shop tomorrow to have them take a look at it, as they stated that they would run an OHMs test first before they did anything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How often was the fluid changed?

Also, not that it matters a lot but 20 bucks for fluid and filters is pretty cheap. Even if you get your fluid from Walmart is still runs about 28.00. The filters probably run 20-40 bucks depending on who you get them from.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The 2010 OM, says to change the trans fluid every 120k miles, and 60k miles for sever duty; like always, it could be different for different M/Y, so check your own OM.

Although, changing fluid filters more often can't hurt, provided you do it the right way and NOT do some sort of flush that the manufacturer recommends against, I doubt its the root cause of the problem in this case.

Trans that suffer damage from bad fluid usually suffer a lot of wear and multiple problems, or just wear out completely. A single part failing in a trans, that is good in all other areas otherwise, and well within the manufacturers recommendation of fluid changes, I suspect is more likely a design problem or just plain bad luck, that you got the one bad part that failed before it should.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Oh really? So you've experienced this problem at some point and can speak about it based on your experience?
I've expereience problems from burnt and worn out trans fluid, and worn out transmissions, I've experienced single component failures in a transmission, despite changing fluid and filter twice as often as the severe duty schedule recommends.

Like I said, I "doubt" a single solenoid failure came from lack of changing fluid often enough, in a transmission that the owner has just reached 3/4 of the fluid life, according to the manufacturer.

The word "doubt" implies I am NOT positive in my diagnosis, just that I have some confidence that its likely more than one than the other. I suspect if oxidized or sheered down fluid is the cause behind a solenoid failure, he would have friction and shifting problems as well.

BUT, I could be wrong, maybe he has been towing a lot with very heavy load in overdrive, and should have changed the fluid 22k miles ago, and this particular solenoid is sensative to fluid viscosity or requires a lot of fluid lube, and maybe he has suffered all sorts of damage/wear to friciton material and has failed to tell us that.

So have you've experienced this problem at some point and can speak about it based on your experience? What's your evidence that that lack of fluid changes causes this part to fail, while the rest of the trans is fine?

·
Registered
378 Posts
To answer your question: Yes I have experienced this problem. I'd have to guess, just as you have that
this particular solenoid is sensative to fluid viscosity
Essentially I got the same CEL with the same code along with an infrequent limp mode. I figured I'd go ahead and change the fluid and filters because I wasn't sure when or if it was done before, and the Jeep had passed at least one fluid change interval and was definitely a server duty vehicle. The symptoms and the CEL went away immediately.

They did wind up returning about 6K miles later, except this time it was going into limp mode almost all of the time. I changed the fluid again and it went away again. It's hard to say if that's going to be a lasting fix, but it's certainly worth noting that it went away immediately after the fluid change.

I'd suggest, that if you don't know when the fluid was changed that it be changed. If you install a drain plug there's really nothing to loose, if it doesn't work you can go back and replace the solenoid, and since you have new fluid and filters and a drain plug, all you have to do is catch that fluid in a clean container(s) and re-use everything. Of course if the fluid was changed at 60K then that's another story.

It does sound like he's taking it to people that know what they are doing, part of the correct procedure is to check the solenoid with an ohm meter. Of course changing the solenoid, and the fluid and filters at the same time could make it appear that the solenoid fixed the problem when in reality the fluid and filters made the difference.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It really sounds like changing the fluid and filter is only masking the symptoms. Yes, it certainly sounds like it fixed the problem temporarily, BUT you can't say for sure that it has solved the problem, because it came back once before.

I hope it doesn't come back, and if 2 fluid and filter changes solved the problem, then there has to be some sort of design defect. The solenoid has to be hyper sensative to fluid viscosity if this is the case, and likely its either damaged or a bad part that will work right with perfect fluid but fails with the slightest degredation in the fluid.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It really sounds like changing the fluid and filter is only masking the symptoms. Yes, it certainly sounds like it fixed the problem temporarily, BUT you can't say for sure that it has solved the problem, because it came back once before.

I hope it doesn't come back, and if 2 fluid and filter changes solved the problem, then there has to be some sort of design defect. The solenoid has to be hyper sensative to fluid viscosity if this is the case, and likely its either damaged or a bad part that will work right with perfect fluid but fails with the slightest degredation in the fluid.
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance it will come back in my situation. The point being that if he's at 85K miles and he missed an OCI at 60K or he doesn't know if it was changed at all, it's not bad advice to have it changed, which is what makes my initial question valid.

Any time you have an issue with your tranny and you don't know when the fluid was changed it's probably a good idea to change it. Back when I had a 99 Grand Cherokee with the 42RE (?) it was slipping and a fluid and filter change fixed the problem. I put many miles on it and didn't have any problems between that time and when I sold it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is yours doing? Exactly

I too have an 06 Hemi Commander and it too just turned 80,000 miles. Mine is having a problem with shifting smoothly around 40-50mph. I am thinking that its probably 4th gear that is shifting rough. I tried the fuild change to see if it helped, but no change. I am now thinking its probably a speed sensor or possibly a defective control module, or something along those lines, since it does not seem to do this at high speeds or low speeds. If the trans was slipping I thought they slip was always more noticable at low speeds, and normally did sort of the the opposite, where in that the shifts became supper soft, where it feels like something is slipping. Mine is shifting hard, not soft and its in the mid range.

If this is a common problem around this mileage, and 800 is all it takes to fix it then I am feeling pretty good about that, provided yours has similar simptoms to mine.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...If the trans was slipping I thought they slip was always more noticable at low speeds, and normally did sort of the the opposite, where in that the shifts became supper soft, where it feels like something is slipping. Mine is shifting hard, not soft and its in the mid range...
There are multiple malfunctions that can cause slipping, so it could happen in all gears, or just one gear, etc... the slower speeds and higher torque of the lower gears may make slipping more noticeable than higher gears, if all gears were slipping for a problem they have in common.

Electronic trans adjust the shifts themselves, so unlike the old hydraulic trans, adjusting bands won't bring back proper shifting.

Like stated already, degraded fluid will effect the shifts, changing it regularly helps the trans, if you are having problems, changing fluid can help; at the very least it can't hurt. (Yea, there are some people that do say it can hurt, BUT their logic is flawed).

If your trans is acting "off" or shifting funny a bit, it could be degraded fluid and changing it will improve it or fix the problem. If the trans is working perfectly except for a problem you can isolate to a single part failure, it can't hurt to try fresh fluid (although you don't want to wait until you have trans problem to change fluid). BUT, especially with the more complicated electronic trans, you can have a single part fail, unrelated to the fluid and changing the fluid isn't going to fix it.

Briandl says he had this Servo Code for his trans, changed the fluid twice and it hasn't come back since the 2nd change. So, it maybe it can help this malfunction.

Briandl, no that I think about it, maybe poor trans performance from degraded fluid makes this servo operate out of normal range to compensate, and bringing back trans performance within range with fresh fluid, gets the servo operating again within normal range, maybe that is the reason for the CODES, i.e. the PCM isn't setting a code because the servo is bad, its setting a code for the servo NOT operating within its normal range and that is just a symptom of something else.

You'd think Chrysler would have TSB out if that was the case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys, I'm just now getting back to checking this thread, lol. I've been crazy busy. I basically narrowed it down to only occurring if I drive over 80mph for a steady sate (drive to work for instance). For the past week and a half or so, I have maxed my speed at 70mph, and have not had the Check Engine light come back on, nor has it entered limp mode. I will definitely try changing the tranny fluid/filter to see how things run from that point and will update with my findings. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thought I'd give an update to the community on this issue I had with mine. I was stuck in 3rd gear for quite awhile and getting the P0750 code and I finally had the local transmission shop look into it and they replaced the solenoid pack in the transmission and it fixed the issue. I now have overdrive back. They said everything in the tranny looked clean when they were in there. I was going to attempt it myself but ultimately decided to have them do it.

·
Registered
2006, 4.7L, 4x4, purchased @121k mi.
11 Posts
Thought I'd give an update to the community on this issue I had with mine. I was stuck in 3rd gear for quite awhile and getting the P0750 code and I finally had the local transmission shop look into it and they replaced the solenoid pack in the transmission and it fixed the issue. I now have overdrive back. They said everything in the tranny looked clean when they were in there. I was going to attempt it myself but ultimately decided to have them do it.
How much did that end up running you?

I was getting a P2706 - for solenoid F, so I replaced it. Now I'm getting a P0750, for solenoid A. Thought I would finally have this thing on the road! Now it's stuck full time in 3rd gear. I've got a message out to the parts supplier, and hopefully they can me a new unit, and give me a refund or compensate me for getting all the fluid (which I now have to drain and ditch)

EDIT: Just kidding, I guess it just needed to sit overnight. Must have been an air bubble in the system. Seems to be all gucci now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts