Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got into my 2010 XK 5.7L with 65000 miles, to go back home, check engine light is on and MDS not working.
Will the check engine light go on if something is wrong with the MDS or the MDS will not work if the check engine light is on?
or both?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So got into my 2010 XK 5.7L with 65000 miles, to go back home, check engine light is on and MDS not working.
Will the check engine light go on if something is wrong with the MDS or the MDS will not work if the check engine light is on?
or both?
Did you change your oil recently and not use 5w20? My 2007 5.7 does not have the eco light, but I can hear when it's on / off. Something tells me you have something unrelated to oil going on. Are you down on power or is it running poorly otherwise? Do you have access to a scanner?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealership that sold me the jeep did an oil change, at a local place by them, I did call and spoke to the tech he did check in computer and he told me they used 5w-20, the MDS was working since I got the jeep and it was working this morning as well, no loss of power, engine and overall the jeep is driving just fine. it was too late to get it scanned by Advance auto parts.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
the dealership that sold me the jeep did an oil change, at a local place by them, I did call and spoke to the tech he did check in computer and he told me they used 5w-20, the MDS was working since I got the jeep and it was working this morning as well, no loss of power, engine and overall the jeep is driving just fine. it was too late to get it scanned by Advance auto parts.
If you are planning on keeping your Commander for long time, like a lot of us, you might consider buying your own superchips flashpaq F5 3874 tuner.

It's a scanner, engine tuner/programmer all in one and will read & clear any DTC's that you have;

https://superchips.com/shop/f5-jeep-flashpaq

It's a very good tool to have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on YouTube there are videos showing that you can get the check engine code DTC report to display on the message screen by turning the key 5 time back and forth without turning on the engine,
the videos where with a 2007 grand & commander with the old regular keys, will it work on my 2010, did anyone try this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
on YouTube there are videos showing that you can get the check engine code DTC report to display on the message screen by turning the key 5 time back and forth without turning on the engine,
the videos where with a 2007 grand & commander with the old regular keys, will it work on my 2010, did anyone try this?

Hey there,

The "key dance" works with mine however, it is 3 times. Did you try turning only 3 times? mine, you have to do it pretty quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hey there,

The "key dance" works with mine however, it is 3 times. Did you try turning only 3 times? mine, you have to do it pretty quick.
well I did see a video do it 5 and one that did it 3, both worked, I'll do it when I get back home, I just love the fact that we can do it, grate I idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So last night I did fill up full gas tank and I made sure that the cap is tight, tonight after the scan I diconected the battery for 30 min and back on the the CEL is gone, I'll see if it will come back in a few days

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
May need a new gas cap or o-ring. Clean off any crud at the gas cap or opening. Put a little petrolatum (Vaseline) on the exisiting o-ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts