Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new to the forums but have used some information from here in the past.

My question is the "check engine light" came on in my jeep today. Then there was a message that said "check park assist".

Is there something wrong with my engine or with the park assist?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Too little info to guess.

There should be a code (like P0420) displayed.
Let us know what that is.
Is your Park Assist working?
Test it by having someone help you back up to a wall. When you get to 12", all the lights should light up and the tone sound.
Or is it alerting all the time?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds like more then one problem going on. Do you happen to know the DTC code for the check engine light. If you could get that we can steer you in the right direction. Any local auto parts store should be able to scan it for you and tell you the DTC code for why the check engine light came on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. The park assist is working fine.

this morning the temp dropped drastically and the check tire pressure light came on. When i filled all tires up to the proper level the tire light went off. then after letting the car **** for an hour or so the check engine light went off.

Im not sure what a DTC code is but i am gonna stop by my local auto store tomorrow and get back to you guys.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds good....let us know what they say.

BTW what swear word did you write in the last post???? lol
Couldnt figure out which one would fit in that sentence. Unless you meant to write sit and accidently added an "H".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i finally got my jeep in to get looked at.....

They are saying that i need $1500 worth of work! They told me that there are 2 sensors bad. One of which has to do with the car shifting. They are saying that at some point the car will just stop shifting all together. There is another issue with a bad probe? my girlfriend is going to pick up the car so once I get it back i am gonna post the diagnostic test on here.

Has anyone had any issues like this?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why does it seem like every single repair quote i am seeing lately for these vehicles is $1,500-$2500 freakin dollars. Do you think the dealers are jacking prices up on our trucks because they are considering them classics now? LOL

Lets see if we can save this guy about $1200. We all may need to revisit this thread someday.. Come on XK experts jump in!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
ok so i finally got my jeep in to get looked at.....

They are saying that i need $1500 worth of work! They told me that there are 2 sensors bad. One of which has to do with the car shifting. They are saying that at some point the car will just stop shifting all together. There is another issue with a bad probe? my girlfriend is going to pick up the car so once I get it back i am gonna post the diagnostic test on here.

Has anyone had any issues like this?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!
Sounds Fishy to me.

Look at the Sticky's on the General Board, about Easter Eggs, it describes how you can do a "Key Dance" with the Ignition Switch and get the EVIC on the instrument cluster to read out all the trouble codes without having to take it to someone to use a scanner.

Keep in mind, this does NOT read every single possible code, but it does read out most codes, including many of the transmission codes.

In the owners manual it says to make sure to clean the 4 sensors on the rear bumper for the park assist, if they are dirty, it will NOT let the system work right. Just something to check.

Which two sensors are bad? I have a tough time believing replacing 2 sensors costs $1500. Which engine/trans/drivetrain do you have, how many miles on the vehicle?

I've replaced trans sensors in electronic trans in other vehicles, took me 45 min and never cost more than $75 to do it myself. Of course this may be different, BUT I'm suspicious, NOT even the Mercedes Benz Trans would have sensor that expensive and require that much labor that replacing them costs $1500. Most rebuilt trans costs that much.

Anotherthing to consider, how many miles on the vehicle and did you have any trans problems up till now. Some trans sensor are magnetic (Hall Effect) and will collect gunk from the trans fluid, sometimes just taking the sensor out and cleaning it will fix everything. You won't get a mechanic to do that, a dealer/mechanic has to warranty their work, they will only replace the part, NOT try to get an existing bad part working better, that bites them in the a$$ when they do that and it doesn't work out. You'd have to do it yourself.

At the very least, find someone trustworthy to give you a second opinion, this is sounding really fishy to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
everyone on here rocks!! thanks to everyone for the input.

So, after reading the report from the dealership this is what they said.

The elelctrical diag found internal failure in TCM and shift module. with an estimate for repair being $1483 plus tax.

the jeep has 40100 miles exactly on it. it has had regular oil changes every 3000 miles. and i have never had a problem with the trans as long as i have owned it. I bought it with around 27000 miles on it.

Of course they "suggested' that i flush the trans fluid and some other what they called minor things that would of jacked the price up to almost $2500.

I am taking it to another guy tomorrow to have him look at it. he is a certifed jeep mechanic.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Again thanks to everyone for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Stock V6, 4X4, then I'm guessing you have the 3.7L w/ NAG1/W5A580 Trans and the QT1 Drivetrain. You have full time AWD/4WD correct? No, levers or modes to change the 4WD, correct?

...Of course they "suggested' that i flush the trans fluid and some other what they called minor things that would of jacked the price up to almost $2500.
That is what it would cost to replace the entire transmissions at many places. Perhaps thats a little optimistic for a 4X4, but it wouldn't be much more than that.

Sorry, I don't know much about the NAG1 Trans, on other trans I've dealt with, most good shade tree mechanics can replace the TCM and shift module in an hour or two, it might be more for the NAG1. As well, a TCM and Shift Module can't cost that much, as well, the TCM is a solid state computer, its NOT common for it to suffer an internal failure unless you've shorted something out connected to the TCM.

That is all the diagnosis said? No DTC's or codes to go with it?

Read the Easter Egg sticky; turn you ignition key from "locked-on-locked-on-locked-on", on meaning the ignition on but NOT starting the engine, make sure to end with the ignition on, do it as fast as you can, less than 3 sec from beginning to end. Look at the EVIC display in the instrument cluster, it will read out the DTC's on the EVIC that are stored on your vehicle. You can check what they mean on the internet.

I suppose its possible something in the shift module shorted out and fried something in the TCM, but you would have noticeable problems, NOT just a check engine light that goes out later. And the high costs they are quoting you. Its possible that I don't know the trans that well, and this is legit and the price is realistic, but other vehicles I've owned, this is extremely unlikely and if it did happen the vehicle would have very noticeable problems, as well, the repair bill would be a fraction of what they quoted. I'm really suspicious, I just don't know enough about Commanders yet to be 100% confident that I can say they are ripping you off. But you're getting a second opinion, which is good, hopefully this guy will save you from getting ripped off OR at least confirm for you, that you had some weird 1 in a million malfunction that has so few symptoms but cost so much to repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes 3.7 and all time 4WD.

And i was just reading about the codes. When i get off work tonite im gonna take at look and see what dtc codes pop up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts