Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Jeep community, 07 Commander 4.7L for the wife 08 Wrangler for me, Does anybody have any suggestions as to why my check engine light on the Commander comes on frequently, other than the gas cap? Is there a way for me to find out like fault codes or somthing without going to the service department?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Try one of the auto parts places....autozone etc...and see if they will check it for you. Some will. You can also buy the scan tool, otherwise, don't know if you can do it.

Welcome to the Forum, tell us about your commander and post pics!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
ya the auto parts stores around me do free scans they just tell you what the code is and then if you would like you can bring it back up on this and tell us the code and the description im sure someone would be able to help you out. I have worked on cars for years sp maybe i could give you a hand its just hard to say with no help and not actually driving the veh or noticing a issue. its kind og like a blind man trying to cross I-95. its not going to happen.lol haha

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The check engine light as come on for me numerous times but usually in the cold. And typically when its below zero and I had my XK plugged in. :(

Since its not winter... I dunno. Good luck on find out what it is. I do know it takes 3 faults of the same to register a check engine light. But thats according to a mechanic bud who was a mechanic for awhile for Jeep.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome USCGMK

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Advanced Auto Parts will scan it for you. I bought me a scanner so I don't have to worry about taking anywhere when I can an engine light. There are some cheap ones and expensive ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
With the check engine light displayed turn the key to the off position. Then rapidly turn the key switch from off to on 3X (final position is on). That should display the error code. Using google, type in the error code ex:p0456) and you should get a hit on the description.

Oh..Welcome Coast Guard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts