Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My commander is out of warranty. How do I check the rear differential fluid level?

I noticed a rubber plug on the back of the axle. If I pull the plug is the hole then exposed? Do I need to have a replacement rubber plug available or will the old one go back in place. Also what should the level be and how do I check the level?

Thanks for the help

Greg
2006 Limited 4.7L

·
Registered
139 Posts
greg230 said:
My commander is out of warranty. How do I check the rear differential fluid level?

I noticed a rubber plug on the back of the axle. If I pull the plug is the hole then exposed? Do I need to have a replacement rubber plug available or will the old one go back in place. Also what should the level be and how do I check the level?

Thanks for the help

Greg
2006 Limited 4.7L
Just make sure you do not pry it off with something sharp, it comes out easily. Level is full up to the bottom of the hole the plug goes into.

You can use a tie wrap or straw to check the level but it should not be far from the hole.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just stick my finger in the hole, if its near the bottom of the hole its OK, if its right at the bottom some is going to run out probably. Just make sure you are on level ground. Besides the level though the quality is important. If it looks milky or bubbly you ought to change it regardless of the mileage. john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts