Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carseat for the Commander

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just purchased a Commander and are waiting for someone to drive it to us. Should be here on Monday.
We have two children and I am concerned because I have been reading that the Britax carseat doesn't fit well. Our rear facing Chicco fits fine. Now I am thinking we should probably buy a new seat.
What forward facing seats do you use that seem to fit well?
Thanks so much,
Bethany

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Carseat for the Commander

Hey Bethany. We had two britax marathons, and they fit fine. They are bulky, and don't leave much extra room, but they do fit. We did end up switching because of the lack of extra room the Britax offered. We now have two of these guys and couldn't be happier. We spent a lot of time on research before buying......

SafeGuard Go Booster Convertible. They are VERY slim, and transport well when not in the vehicle. They fold up to sort of a large briefcase size, and come with a travel bag.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Our Britax Marathoner works fine in the second row passenger seat. Initially we had some problems with the headrest, which prevented the seat from tightly fitting. Luckily someone on this forum posted a tip: recline the seat as far as it will go. It works fine with the LATCH anchors now.

I'm a fan of the Britax products. They're expensive but well made, and they appear to be pretty safe. Also they have good customer support.

·
Registered
87 Posts

OK-- another tip for those who can't get their headrests to move.......

tip rear seatback forward until the headrest pops down. When down, you will see a small vertical slot in the plastic ring at the base of the headrest mounts (one on each steel post). Insert a small flathead screwdriver into that slot, and viola.... your headrests become adjustable, up and down. It makes all the difference in the world when trying to fit a car seat in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Just purchased a new Commander. Something that I did not notice when looking the vehicle over was the fit you get with Child Car Seats (What a dummy, I only checked the rear facing position). The head rest in the second row gets in the way and it does not look like I can remove it.

We currently have a Britax Marathon seat, by reclining the second row seat I can get a better fit. I am confident that the seat is secured safely and in the proper position but am concerned about finding a seat that will fit properly (we are close to upgrading my 4 year old son's seat in my car as our 4 month old is ready to get out of the baby carrier).

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated. Is there a safe way to remove the head rest temporarily in the second row? What seats do you use in your Commander?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Give the search a try. There were two threads about this several months ago when I bought my Commander. I was looking for advice on fitting my Britax Marathon, and wound up with the same solution as you. However, in either the same thread or another, there is an instruction for removing the headrest. It didn't seem that tough.

I'm going to upgrade to a Britax Regent next week. I'll post some pix of the fit when it happens. Good luck with the search. I'm sure you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I did see that thread, I must have missed the instructional. The Regent is what we are considering. Definitely let me know how things worked out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
baby car seats

with the commander having LATCH ( ISOFIX ) points I am thinking of getting a specific seat for the youngest kid.

does anybody have any comments on the system. the manual for the carseat ( the only time I read a manual is when my kids safety depends on me reading it) says it needs to use a top tether.

my understanding was ISOFIX/LATCH eliminated belts and tethers etc

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
its been a few years since i messed with infant seats. i know one hooks to the two anchor points on the seats. and then the third one is supposed to hook behind the head rest.

i have not even looked at the commander since my kids are using booster seats now. my old car had them, i'm not sure on the commander.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
At one time, several manufactures had someone at the dealership trained specifically in childseat installation. You might check your dealership to see if there is such a person.

·
Registered
282 Posts
have a recaro in ours and fits fine. two clips connect to the seat back and the othe around the headrest

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
We have two of the alpha omega elites (see link below) and love them. Two hooks to the anchor points on the seat, and the third one is hooked on the anchor point on the back side of the seat. The third strap is passed in the crack between the headrest and the seat and then connects to the back of the seat

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401317

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just use the normal seat belt and have the car seat in the middle of the second row. It secures the car seat really good just with the seat belt alone. When you install it you have to pull the seat belt all the way out and when you let it suck in it will make a clicking sound which locks the belt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts