Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a mild lift kit (about 2") for my Commander so I can mount a larger tire and get some ground clearance for the trails.

I am trying to decide between the 2" OME lift (which has both springs and shocks) or instead a spacer lift (either the RRO 2.25" lift or the RC 2" lift). I know that the topic of spacer lift vs spring lift is one that has been discussed a lot on the forum (with opinions going both ways), but I would appreciate any thoughts.

The OME lift will cost me about $700 or so more than a spacer lift, but of course I would be getting new springs/shocks. I don't mind spending the extra $$ if the OME setup is worth it, particularly since the work to install seems about the same (I don't want to do this twice). I will put on new UCAs whichever lift I buy (either JBA or RRO).

My Commander now has Bilstein 4600 shocks all around now, which i understand I can reuse with the spacer lift (although I understand this may cause the rear shocks to wear out more quickly since they aren't designed for a lift). The Bilsteins on the vehicle now have about 50,000 miles/4 years of wear on them (85,000 miles total on the Commander).

I have been warned about "coil bind" with spacer lifts, and I am wondering if that is a real issue. I understand that the ride and handling may be better with the OME lift, but that is subjective of course.

For anyone who has an OME lift, your advice on whether to choose the MD or HD springs would be appreciated. I have the stock bumpers and don't do much towing (just a light utility trailer). I don't want the Commander to have too stiff of a ride so my wife won't drive it.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I had the 2 inch Rough Country for 3 yrs on my XK prior to going to the 4 inch Superlift and it never gave me any problems; However, knowing what I know now if I had to do all over again, I'd go with the OME lift; I think it's a better overall concept, that isn't quite as rough on the stock XK components, such at the UCA's, LCA's & sway bar bushings.

Just my 2 cents fwiw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Big Blue. How has the Superlift worked out for your Commander? Did you upgrade because you found you needed more ground clearance/articulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thank you, Big Blue. How has the Superlift worked out for your Commander? Did you upgrade because you found you needed more ground clearance/articulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well to be honest, I wanted to move up to a larger tire, specifically Goodyear Duratrac LT285/70/17's which are 33 inch tires and I thought I could do it while keeping my 2 inch RC lift, if I did the pinch-weld mod and had some cutting done inside the wheel-wells and a little bit on the door sills - but that turned out not to be the case & once all of that work was done, I still couldn't clear those tires; So, I had 2 choices;

Go back down to my P265/70/17 AT Toyo's and leave with my tail between my legs and a brand new set of tires that I couldn't use or upgrade to the 4 inch Superlift; It was an easy but expensive decision. You can read the details here if you like;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/72977-goodyear-duratrac-lt285-70-17s-ultimately-upgrading-4-inch-superlift.html

I like the 4 inch Superlift and with the tires I have, it's the equivalent of a 6 inch lift. I can tell you, I wouldn't go any higher than this though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts