Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 Commander 4.7 V8 and am thinking of lifting it. I attempted to take it to get it done and was told that there may be a problem with the computer when lifting the Commander. I was told that it will kill the engine when it is in a full turn and will shut down the anti-lock. Can anyone tell me if this is true and make recommendation as to what lift kit to use and how much of a lift is sufficient. Thanks for your advise.:icon_flaming:

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
You will be fine if you only use a 2" lift. With a 4" lift you need to reprogram the computer to allow for the lift so it will not engage the ESP/TC when it shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It won't kill the engine. The traction control could kick in sometimes on really tight turns like u-turns. I have the Old Man Emu coil lift which I'd highly recommend. If that's out of your price range any 2 inch spacer lift will do. Just stay away from daystar and stay away from any other lifts that use poly spacers instead of steel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man I went with the Old Man Emu as well. I did a lot of research and a lot of members on this forum who went with the spacer lifts first eventually switched to the Old Man Emu lift. So, I decided to go with it and save myself some trouble. Plus my struts and shocks needed to be replaced too(included in the lift). It is a little more though. I think I paid like 881.59 but I also order the front strut spacers for a little added lift and that price icludes shipping. So I figured why not. Just ordered like 2 weeks ago and it should be in Wednesday and hoping the wife gets it installed by Monday. If you want I can post pics of it when it gets done, but it will be on the stock wheels until the rims and tires get ordered. If you want I can also have the wife or someone with a little more experience tell me what they think about the ride compared to stock and let you know what they say since I'm not there to drive it around :brickwall:. If you go with bigger tires you will need to recalibrate your speedo, but you can buy the Superchips Flashpaq tuner for that. Plus it reads trouble codes and you can reprogram your Jeep using other options depending on its use. Goodluck though man.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yomahomie03 I would like to see some pics when you get them also let me know if your jeep leveled with the extra strut spacers or if you got the front higher than the back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently swapped out my RC lift for the OME HD lift with shocks and struts. Happy with the ride quality and the fact I gained more height! I would recommend going straight to the OME lift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. It is sounding like the OME lift kit is the way to go. I'm going to go ahead and have the lit installed on the 1st so I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks again guys.

Phillip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man, I was planning on going with the Rocky Road 2.25" lift with wheel spacers but after reading this thread I may have to look into the OME some more.

Yoma, was that just the cost of the lift or with it installed (assuming you're not doing it yourself)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man, I was planning on going with the Rocky Road 2.25" lift with wheel spacers but after reading this thread I may have to look into the OME some more.

Yoma, was that just the cost of the lift or with it installed (assuming you're not doing it yourself)?
The price I paid was for the lift, front spacers, and shipping. The lift is actually like 760 before any shipping. I'm still waiting on the wife to get a quote on the install. I'm getting it done by a local shop, but he's also a good friend of the wife's family so I'm supposed to get a good deal, but he needed to see all of the stuff for the lift first. If you go with the RR lift good luck because I've heard mixed stories. I was going to get that exact one, but after planning on replacing the shocks and struts with better ones I was little shy of the price the that I paid for the OME lift. So, I decided to just go for it. From the research that I have done I found that the OME lift is the BEST 2" lift for our Commanders. You got to remember you get what you pay for and there's a reason the RR lift is a lot cheaper. I would say if you have the extra money to spend to go with the OME and save money by getting a few buddies to help you install it. I know everybody has to know someone who is mechanically incline and has the tools and there's a how to thread with pictures on the forum. I would install it myself but I'm not home to do so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome. Thanks Homie! I can build the crap out of a house but I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to major stuff on vehicles. Ill do like you and get a quote from someone local. If you think of it, can you let us know what your wife's buddy is going to charge when they get back to you on it? It's nice to see what the average cost is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 08 limited with a hemi. I really want it lifted. Originally I wanted 4" but I think a 2" will be fine. It's just for looks as right now I'm living in NorCal. I bought the 4x4 because I'm from tx and will be taking it off road when I move back home, as or right now it's my daily driver and I use it for all my errands... I'm averaging 10.4 mpg in city. I know I can expect to have that number decrease with the lift. What's the best choice of lifts to go with?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 08 limited with a hemi. I really want it lifted. Originally I wanted 4" but I think a 2" will be fine. It's just for looks as right now I'm living in NorCal. I bought the 4x4 because I'm from tx and will be taking it off road when I move back home, as or right now it's my daily driver and I use it for all my errands... I'm averaging 10.4 mpg in city. I know I can expect to have that number decrease with the lift. What's the best choice of lifts to go with?
Go with the Old Man Emu HD lift, it will give you the most lift short of the 4"superlift and most members upgrade from their 2" spacer lifts to the OME lift, due to the fact that it replaces the spacer with new springs and struts, giving you greater down travel. Although it costs a bit extra, you will save in the long run when you don't have to upgrade down the road. Before I got this lift I was seriously considering the superlift, but now that I have the OME lift, I'm sitting at just over 3" of lift at a third of the superlift price. That money saved can then go to much needed mods such as gear swaps, armor, etc. I'm sure more will chime in to say the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome. Thanks Homie! I can build the crap out of a house but I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to major stuff on vehicles. Ill do like you and get a quote from someone local. If you think of it, can you let us know what your wife's buddy is going to charge when they get back to you on it? It's nice to see what the average cost is.
So, the lift got installed and he ended up charging $150 for everything. Sounds reasonable to me. My wife is going to pick it up tomorrow. Not sure if she took before pictures or not. Most likely she forgot, but I should have the pictures up tomorrow sometime. Remember it will be on stock wheels. I'm pretty exited and nervous at the same time because I hoping it's level or close to level with the strut spacers and Matt's 1/2 spacer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is there a part number difference between the old OME 2"lifts and the newer ones? I remember reading the old ones didn't level the commander and the new ones do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where is a good place to buy the OME kit? I see the HD set on RR's site but am having a hard time finding the set for an XK on other sites. Also, what front spacer is good for leveling the front of it like Homie did?
Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
OME has a Medium Duty and Heavy Duty, get Heavy for the XK and Medium for the WK.

At a minimum you need two struts and four springs, shocks are optional.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So here's a picture of my Commander with the HD OME lift and the 3/8 front strut spacers and Matt's rear 1/2 inch rear spacers. I like the look, but it's definitely in need of new rims and tires. I'm kind of holding off on those because I'm doing some research on what size offset/backspacing is good without doing any cutting and trimming and fit 265/70/17s. I've done some research and I was going to go with +25 offset on 8.5 rim, but I read that that offset may tuck the tires away and may be too close to comfort with the Ball joint bolt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts