Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 commander is a sport. Ive downloaded the build sheet.When I got it the guy told me that its had the front nose replaced a few times due to accidents. The jeep currently has the chrome grille and the bumper cover has the slots for the chrome accent under the bumper. It did not have fog lights. ( It does now, LOL). So. I figured that some body shop must have gotten parts off of a limited and used them. Ive done it. I changed the grille to chrome on my JGC I used to own. But lo and behold, my build sheet lists "Bright grille" as an option. So I have 2 questions. Could you order the chrome grille as an option without the limited package? And, if you get the chrome grille do you automatically get the chrome accent under the bumper? Oh, its also supposed to have "trail rated" badges on the fenders which it does not. Probably left off after paint?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
My 07 commander is a sport. Ive downloaded the build sheet.When I got it the guy told me that its had the front nose replaced a few times due to accidents. The jeep currently has the chrome grille and the bumper cover has the slots for the chrome accent under the bumper. It did not have fog lights. ( It does now, LOL). So. I figured that some body shop must have gotten parts off of a limited and used them. Ive done it. I changed the grille to chrome on my JGC I used to own. But lo and behold, my build sheet lists "Bright grille" as an option. So I have 2 questions. Could you order the chrome grille as an option without the limited package? And, if you get the chrome grille do you automatically get the chrome accent under the bumper? Oh, its also supposed to have "trail rated" badges on the fenders which it does not. Probably left off after paint?
@Carbuff;

To answer your 2 questions in short order:

1) Yes you could get the Chrome/Bright Grille as an option without having the Limited Trim Package.

2) No, you do not get the Chrome Fascia piece underneath the front bumper automatically, when you have a Chrome/Bright Grille. The Chrome Fascia piece underneath the front bumper is exclusive to the Limited & Overland Trim packages - however you could order it separately and add it yourself if you chose to.

The Chrome Grille was not a "Limited only" option; I have a 2008 Sport and mine came with a chrome grille from the factory but it did not come with the Chrome fascia piece under the front bumper cover. The Sport can come with either a Chrome Grille or a Painted Grille depending on what option was specified when the original owner ordered it. The Chrome Grille would be listed as "Bright Grille" on your build sheet, if it was ordered that way from the factory. You have already stated that's what your build sheet says, so, that question is already answered.

I believe the factory bumper covers for all trim packages come with the slots underneath for the Chrome Fascia Piece, simply for ease of production. If it's a "Limited" or "Overland" trim package, they add the Chrome fascia piece on the assembly line, if it's a Sport they simply leave it "as is".

The External Chrome accents that are typically "Limited and/or Overland only" accents are the Roof Rails with the Chrome finish on the sides, the Chrome Fascia piece under the front bumper cover, the Rear Chrome Grab handles, the Chrome Trim right above the rear license plate on the rear hatch for the rear hatch door handle and the Chrome body-side door moldings.

As far as if your XK should have Trail-Rated Badges - this link explains what equipment/options your Commander is required to have from the factory to be "Trail-Rated" by Jeep:

https://bthefloridacommandersclub.runboard.com/t25

Also, the Trail Rated badge would be listed on your factory build sheet if your XK came with one from the factory - and FYI, the factory only put Trail Rated badges on the Driver's side front fender on Commanders. Of course that doesn't mean you couldn't order a 2nd Trail Rated Badge and put it on the passenger's side front fender if you wanted it to look uniform - that's what I did.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I have the build sheet. I got it just the way you described. It lists "trail rated" badges as an option. It also lists a lot of cryptic stuff that I dont understand exactly. If it lists 7 gallons of extra fuel, what does that mean? A bigger gas tank, or thats how much would be in the tank when delivered? Also, I dont have any of the other chrome accents, just the grille and the slots in the bumper for where the lower accent would attach. Its tough trying to figure out whats correct on a vehicle thats been taken apart so many times.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Thanks, guys. I have the build sheet. I got it just the way you described. It lists "trail rated" badges as an option. It also lists a lot of cryptic stuff that I dont understand exactly. If it lists 7 gallons of extra fuel, what does that mean? A bigger gas tank, or thats how much would be in the tank when delivered? Also, I dont have any of the other chrome accents, just the grille and the slots in the bumper for where the lower accent would attach. Its tough trying to figure out whats correct on a vehicle thats been taken apart so many times.
I believe the 7 gallons of gas is what it was delivered with initially from the factory - everyone's build sheet lists it the same way.

You should have a Trail-Rated Badge on your driver's side front fender - if you don't, that's the only thing it sounds like you're missing, everything else sounds correct for a Sport Model - no chrome at all on a Sport - other than the Bright Grille if you have that option - which we've already established you do.

All the Chrome you see on mine I added myself.

Here are some pics of Big Blue the day I bought her - this is how she came from the factory because the original owner who was a 66 year old woman did ZERO modifications:

Big difference from that to this:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharp looking Jeep. Maybe I notice the slots on the front bumper cover because its white, and the slots leave a black void. Im also missing the "spoiler" that goes under the bumper too.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Sharp looking Jeep. Maybe I notice the slots on the front bumper cover because its white, and the slots leave a black void. Im also missing the "spoiler" that goes under the bumper too.
Post some pics so I can see what you're talking about.

Are you talking about that piece of black plastic underneath? Not a big deal....I'd just order it and slap it on there, can't be very difficult.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Personally, I prefer the look without the front air dam. Mine came off the first time I took mine out on the dunes anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
This is what I mean about the slots for the chrome part. I believe there are different part numbers for the bumper cover, with or without chrome accent.

Yea, that should not look like that, this looks like a bumper cover for the Limited without the Chrome fascia piece attached.

That has nothing to do with the Chrome Grille though, that Grille is correct for the Sport Trim package.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It looks like you're missing this part, which looks to be $200 or so new.

I will warn you though, that if you want to replace it, you may have a tough battle keeping it looking good. My Jeep has seen a lot of highway miles, and even though I do my best to keep it washed and clean, the chrome has been permanently damaged by bugs and other various road debris kicked up by other vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts