Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe there are 2 different chrome side roof rails you can purchase. I have seen one set for $119 and then a set for $340. Obviously there is quite a difference however not sure what the difference is. I am sure someone who has been in the market for the chrome roof rails has also seen this and was wondering if anyone knew the difference? Is the $119 not worth the purchase? Is the $340 set that much better? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The set of $340 are the OEM metal roofrails. I have them on my XK.
The other parts you are talking about are "stick-on" parts. They are probably just metal strips with adhesive on the back. They are for visual purposes only. I would definitly go for the $340 full metal rails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the cheaper version are "stick on" then how are the OEM chrome roofrails applied? When you say the cheaper version serve only a visual purpose, what purpose would the OEM roof rails serve?

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
If the cheaper version are "stick on" then how are the OEM chrome roofrails applied? When you say the cheaper version serve only a visual purpose, what purpose would the OEM roof rails serve?
The stick on are chrome strips that stick on the stock black roof rails.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well, what purpose would either serve? They are visual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that they served solely as a visual service however I was hoping to find out if there was that much quality difference than the OEM version over the cheaper "stick on" version? A $200 difference is a large price variance so there must be some quality differences or something to warrant that big of a $ difference. I had hoped someone had already researched this who also had been in the market for the Chrome Side Roof Rails.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went with OEM metal chrome. It cost me about $250 at the time via magauto.com, for the pair (for '07-'08 models) that fit my 2006. I haven't seen the stick-on until this thread. No difference in strengh; in speaking of rails. But with stick-ons (look like made of hard plastic), it can fall off after time esp. if you deal with ice/snow yearly. Another concern is, how much can it handle wear vs. metal in terms of 'chrome' surface/shine. Sure it's less expensive, but your investment can fly off the interstate anytime like a hubcap.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
I knew that they served solely as a visual service however I was hoping to find out if there was that much quality difference than the OEM version over the cheaper "stick on" version? A $200 difference is a large price variance so there must be some quality differences or something to warrant that big of a $ difference. I had hoped someone had already researched this who also had been in the market for the Chrome Side Roof Rails.
The black roof rails come on the Sport model. The chrome rails come standard on the Limited and Overland models. Their purpose is to hold the cross-bars which purpose is to be able to mount things like roof racks, surfboards, luggage carriers, etc. Of course there is a big difference between the OEM chrome rails and the chrome strip that sticks onto the black rails to give them a chrome look. The OEM rails are solid metal and you won't have to worry about the stick ons coming off. Personnally, I think for two metal strips the stick ons are overpriced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. That helps. What I am gathering is that the more expensive Chrome Roof Rack Sides are actual chrome sided roof racks. The less expensive version are simply "stick on" strips of less expensive chrome looking material which would be applied via 3M double sided tape. For some reason I had thought both versions were simply chrome or chrome looking material that was actually applied or stuck on the side of the existing solid black Sport roof racks. I now understand the difference. I guess my last question would be how difficult would it be to remove the old standard Black Sport Roof Racks and apply the new more expensive chrome sided roof racks.

Anyone out there have this done or done it themselves?

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I guess my last question would be how difficult would it be to remove the old standard Black Sport Roof Racks and apply the new more expensive chrome sided roof racks?
If you look down inside the racks on the Commander you will see they are held on by torx screws, you can simply take off the black one and screw on a chrome ones, I bet it is less than 30 minutes to swap them out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Install is really easy. Takes 30min. Torx wrench and small pry bar to pry plastic caps.
Good luck whichever you decide on.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
It is possible that the stick on version is made of stainless steel with 3M stick-on tape. I bought a strip for the base of the tail gate, to cover up some chipped paint. It is stainless steel, and sticks on with 3M tape. I've been through 2 ice storms and more snow than I'd like to talk about and it is still stuck tight. I swapped my black rails for the Mopar chrome ones. Like they said, takes about 30 minutes. Do not pop off the plastic ends if it too cold, as you might crack them. Advice from my dealers body shop.:eek:rangehat:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts