Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler is recalling 469,000 Jeep SUVs worldwide because they can shift into neutral without warning on startup.

The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006 to 2010 Commanders.

U.S. safety regulators say cracks in a circuit board can cause a faulty signal as the SUVs are being started. If the vehicles shift into neutral they can roll away.

Chrysler says the problem has caused 26 crashes and two injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners and dealers will update software to take care of the problem. Chrysler found cracks in a circuit board that turns the four-wheel-drive system on and off.

Repairs will be made at no cost to owners.

The recall covers 295,000 vehicles in the U.S., 28,500 in Canada, and 4,200 in Mexico. The remaining 141,000 are outside North America.

The company says in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Administration that it began looking into the problem after a customer complained that an SUV rolled away in January of 2012 after being started remotely.

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
So how will we go about getting this "repaired"?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Looks like you will have to take it to an authorized shop to get the ".. final drive controller reflashed ...with updated control software ..."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cracked circut board? Reflash to fix? How does this fix a cracked circut board?

Where is this part located, and how hard would it be to replace it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I called my local dealer and asked them about the recall. Gave them my last 8 of my VIN and said that I had not outstanding recall issues. Is this limited to a certain set-up? Did I call too early?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Final drive control module (FDCM) aka (?) Transfer case control module

For a 2006 3.7 4x4

Under the 2nd row seat, drivers side.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Did I call too early?
Yes ..

Chrysler recall is # N23 and has not been sent to the dealers yet, the ref. linked above ( post # 3 ) lists the June time frame for the official notifications.

My local dealer was also unaware , even though the national news was covering it this morning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes ..

Chrysler recall is # N23 and has not been sent to the dealers yet, the ref. linked above ( post # 3 ) lists the June time frame for the official notifications.

My local dealer was also unaware , even though the national new was covering it this morning.
I just got a call back from the service manager at the dealership and kind of told me the same news. I asked if the ECU was going to be reflashed as well with the latest update (I am not sure if mine is) and he told me yes that it would be.

I am concerned, as stated above, that a physical crack in the circuit is going to fixed with a software update. Sounds like details of the cause and fix are still being worked out so I will wait until I get notified in June.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
....... Sounds like details of the cause and fix are still being worked out.......

Yup .... I agree ..

Also food for thought ... for those of us that have aftermarket programmers.... perhaps they should be "zeroed " out before having the dealer re-program our computers ???

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Here are a couple of more details. I contacted my local Jeep dealership and got a blank look when I asked about the recall.

Jeep Commander Recall Information

NEWS: Chrysler is recalling certain 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles
Report Receipt Date: MAY 07, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V175000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected: 295,345

MAY 2013 -- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 11, 2004, through March 9, 2010; and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured January 31, 2005, through March 10, 2010. A transfer case electrical failure may result in an unintentional shifting of the transfer case into the neutral position. If the vehicle shifts into neutral, it may roll away increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury. Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the final drive controller which governs the transfer case, with new software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in June 2013. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N23. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
In post # 3 is 6 pages of info exchanged between Chrysler and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I thought it was interesting reading the internal type correspondence and details btw them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Windshield wiper activation affected too?

My commander, and other owners on this site have windshield wipers that cycle by themselves on startup. Connected?

OBTW-how many of the rollaways had the emergency brake set? Roll into my car because you didn't set the ebrake, and it won't be just chryco I will go after.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yup .... I agree ..

Also food for thought ... for those of us that have aftermarket programmers.... perhaps they should be "zeroed " out before having the dealer start re-program our computers ???
Might be wise to call the dealer and ask about that, especially if you re-calibrated for aftermarket tires and wheels. I wonder how they want to deal with larger than stock tires and the re-calibration done by a shop.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Might be wise to call the dealer and ask about that,

Personally, I reset mine to stock anytime I think a dealer might do any updates for my programmers sake. Also, sometimes it may be wiser if the dealer doesn't know if you have messed with your system.

especially if you re-calibrated for aftermarket tires and wheels. I wonder how they want to deal with larger than stock tires and the re-calibration done by a shop.

Good question .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
recall

Just some general info. Calling the local dealer about the transmission recall I was told that I must wait from a letter from Chrysler/ Jeep notifying me my Commander is included in this recall. Don't know if this is true, but I guess I will just wait. :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts