Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I finally went ahead and had my transmission oil and filters changed 2 weeks ago. They did the N23 update - my 4 wheel low is working fine. Possibly this new one is for ones that may have a sluggish Transfer case motor??? I heard it includes a part? Need more input!! The recall specifically said QTII - ? Not QDII???

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It specifically said a "QTII Transfer Case", since QDII has the same transfer case, logically it would also be covered. But yes, they could have been more clear, and I also would worry that they are only going to cover QTII and NOT QDII.

I don't "think" (meaning I could be wrong) the problem is a sluggish shift motor. What I read was a defect in the FDCM module. The defect could cause the FDCM to shift the XFR case into neutral at a random time, that lead to a few Commanders rolling down hills. I think the NHTSA got involved.

The N23 update was suppose to have a self-test to spot the defect and disable the FDCM before it could become a safety issue. Either the overwhelming majority of FDCM's were defective or the N23 update's new self-test to sensitive, cause it was resulting in an overwhelming majority of vehicles having their FDCM disabled shortly after doing the N23 udpate, meaning they could NOT shift into 4LOW or Neutral.

Perhaps the N73 update will have a better self-test that will finally identify if the FDCM really is defective or NOT. Thus if you have a good FDCM it won't be disabling the FDCM in the future when its NOT necessary. And, if your FDCM is actually defective it will identify it more positively and thus you can replace it and get a proper functioning vehicle. You would hope, if the FDCM is identified as defective, Chrysler would replace it for you free of charge, which might account for the talk about a new part?

Yes, one of the NV245's common problems was oil leaking past the seal at the shift motor and ruining shift motors that is an expensive repair. That does confuse the issue. Might want to check that motor on every oil change, and if you spot leaking oil, repair the seal right away before the motor is ruined by leaking oil, and avoid having to replace the motor with the seal.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I guess we won't know for sure until several xk's have a history with the p73 recall, please keep us informed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had my fingers crossed all this time while you guys have been complaining about the dreaded N23 malfunction. Well, I may have finally become a victim. I was doing some off road course and while I was in regular mode (4 Hi/4 wheel drive) I got the rear passenger wheel off the ground and the wheel started spinning, next thing I know the ABS, traction control, and BAS lights come on along with a "ding" and "service 4wheel drive" display. I tried shifting into 4Lo and it would not let me. I was able to take the bypass and get out of the course. I am now sitting at the dealer to get this P73 update. When he put his scanner on the OBD it showed on his tablet that I needed the P73 update (along with the ignition switch which I am still waiting for). I have a QTII. Anyway, I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, done. It was a pretty quick fix, the dealer didnt take long at all. Everything seems to be working ok. I put it in 4Lo and it let me. I drove about 100 feet that way just fine then switched it back. I wont be able to test it off road til tmrw. And best of all NO CHARGE!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have QD-II. I get the service 4 wheel drive light as soon as I try to engage 4lo. I recently made a post about this asking for help. To my knowledge, (only owned the commander for a year) my commander has not had any of the recalls done. I was afraid to have anything done until I researched it more because I read so many horror stories of the recall fix actually making things much worse. So with that being said, should I have the N23 done? Or go straight to the P73?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I could be wrong, or confusing past stories, but the N23 update was in response to a safety issue to avoid a recall from the NHTSA. So its NOT hard to imagine, with how automated and full proofed they design the dealer diagnostic tool, that anytime it is connected to the vehicle, it likely identifies it needs the N23 and its mandatory they have to perform it.

Someone already said the N73 update has seemed to fix what is wrong with the N23, but its too early to tell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did some mild off road trails where I was able to get each corner off the ground and I had no trouble with anything. The vehicle shifted in and out of 4Lo and 4Hi when I asked it to. Seems to be doing fine. So far so good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am heading to the dealer today. In case my commander hasn't had any of the recalls done yet, which recall was the first one that messed things up worse? I want to make sure I definitely don't get that one. As for the N23 or the P73, I guess u will see what they say

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you had a broken FDCM, your Jeep could shift into neutral unexpectedly, so the N23 update was an improvement.
If you had a perfectly good FDCM, the N23 update would still see it as bad and disable it, so in most cases the N23 was bad.
The P73 or is it N73? fixes what was wrong in N23.

So, we'll see, maybe the P73 will do the same thing.

1 thing to keep in mind, if you're FDCM is bad, and supposedly a lot were manufactured with a flaw that would causes the circuit board to crack, the software should disable the shifter so it doesn't get accidentally shifted into neutral.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got the P73. I tested it in the parking lot and it went into 4 lo without any service lights coming on. Hopefully that fixed it. I haven't tested it yet to make sure 4 lo is actually engaging

·
Registered
106 Posts
P73 seems to have cured mine as well. Had it flashed Monday and it will drop into 4L without issue.

No charge, 30 minutes or so. Dealer checked vin and hooked it up.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
P73, 2008, XK, Overland, 5.7L, 126K mi

I have had the P73 done for a couple of weeks now with no issues.

For those with the service display, but don't want the recall yet, there is the Fuse # trick to at least temp fix your issue, and you 4WD low will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had N23 done because the truck would go into 4low willy-nilly regardless of speed. N23 stopped that but,as with others it locked out 4low. The P73 was done on the 15th,and took roughly 1hr. When I jumped in I immediately tried 4low -something I should have done with the N23 flash- and it worked flawlessly. I have used 4low off and on since the 15th with no untoward issues.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The people getting the P73 update are saying it works, there should be no reason to avoid getting the latest update.

Keep in mind, if your FDCM fails, this is what is suppose to happen, and it will need to be replaced. Best I can figure, the N23 was doing bad self-tests that failed good FDCM's. So even with the P73, you may get the old problem because the FDCM or another part in the system failed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just received the recall notice last week. I guess I should contact the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.... since I have the QDII, not the QTII.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts