·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.wlwt.com/money/chrysler-recalls-792000-older-jeeps/27096174#!bj0xDr

Chrysler recalls 792,000 older Jeeps

Flaw affects Jeep Commanders, Grand Cherokees
UPDATED 5:17 PM EDT Jul 22, 2014

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) —Chrysler recalled about 792,000 older SUVs Tuesday for ignition switch problems.

The flaw affects Jeep Commanders from model years 2006-2007 and Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2005-2007.

The issue is linked to one accident, but the company is unaware of any related injuries.

The problem can cause the ignition key to move out of the "on" position while the car is being driven, usually because it was bumped by a driver's knee, the company said in a statement. That could cause the engine to stall and the front airbags to stop working.

Problems with ignition switches have been found in millions of vehicles recalled this year. Chrysler recalled 696,000 minivans and SUVs for a similar issue in June.

General Motors is currently under investigation after it took ten years to recall 2.6 million vehicles for an ignition switch problem that has been linked to at least 13 deaths. It found a problem with the same part in 11.6 million vehicles it recalled in June.

The ignition switch in the GM cars was made by Delphi, a major U.S. auto parts supplier. A Chrysler spokesman would not say what company made the ignition switch in its recalled cars.

Chrysler said it will contact affected customers by mid-September. At that point, they can bring their vehicles to a dealership to be repaired. Until then, the automaker is urging drivers to make sure there is plenty of room between their knees and the ignition key while driving, and to remove all other items from the key ring.

Newer models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee are not affected because the model has been completely redesigned. The Commander is no longer in production.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Let's hope complying with this recall doesn't result in a "Service 4WD" evic message. Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New ignition lock & keys, + maybe door locks, too?
Seems like it would be difficult to make each lock match the keys already made for each vehicle.
Either way, that's fresh parts for free. :woot:

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
The ignition switch and the mechanism that you put the key into are actually 2 separate assemblies and can be changed independently of each other. If it is only the ignition switch they are changing your old key will still work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm hoping for new keys. One of my keys had an unfortunate mishap with salt water and doesn't work to well any more.

John

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

·
Registered
69 Posts
One more recall i probably won't have done. Unless your Shaquille O Neal I'm not sure how one of us would 'bump' the ignition switch into an off position --- i'm 6'1' and don't come close with my knees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe they'll install a push-button start to eliminate the key sticking out.
I don't see how replacing the switch keeps you from hitting the key with your knee. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe they'll install a push-button start to eliminate the key sticking out.
I don't see how replacing the switch keeps you from hitting the key with your knee. :dunno:
Well, obviously the switch is going to be in the same place. But the replacement switch will not be able to be moved from the RUN position so easily.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I won't take mine in until I know they have fixed the recall for shifting out of neutral. They will do all recalls once they have your xk. Xclnce there were many complaints of this happening to XK's in the past. I picked-up my 06 in Feb 06 and never had this problem, but I have short legs.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I think the "bumping the key with your knee" was just an example of what could cause the problem.

At least in the GM ignition switch/key problem, the lock cylinder was so loose and flimsy that just the forces of turning/accellerating/braking was causing it to move and switch off the ignition. Dealers were litterally telling owners to take their ignition key off their key chain and only use the key itself, nothing else attached to it, while you drive, as if that was a legitimate solution.

I have the Fobik key system (and yes, I also only got one key when I bought the vehicle used from a dealer). 2010 so its NOT part of the recall.

Keying a lock cylinder only take a few minutes, once you have the lock cylinder out, there may or may NOT be a snap on cover, there are 8 little brass gates of 5 different sizes, you can snap them out with a screw driver and the proper gate inserted with finger force.

With the key out, little springs force the gates up and they extend out of the cylinder, the gates extending up fits into a slot in in the body that holds the lock cylinder so it won't turn. Insert the right key and the bumps on the push the gates up/down the right amount of distance to retract the gates to fit flush with the cylinder. Insert the wrong key and the wrong bumps won't retract the gates far enough or retract them too far so that extend out the opposite side and do the same thing, and the cylinder won't turn.

So, easy peezy, you have a new lock cylinder and the old lock cylinder out, just push out the gate one at a time from the old lock cylinder and place it in the correct position of the new lock cylinder, and the old key works, shouldn't take a ham fisted amateur more than 2 minutes to do it.

Have no idea, starting from scratch, you can pick a gate that is close just by eye balling the bump on the key, then trial and error, try different gates until each gate retracts flush with the cylinder surface as you insert the key. Shouldn't take a ham fisted amateur more than 5 minutes to do it.

I own 4 Chrysler Vehicles, used by members of my family, I was able to order a bunch of the gates for the locks, and some other various parts that may be needed for some to be replaced as you take them apart and put them back together again. But I rekeyed all my Chrysler Vehicles to use the same key, I just have to carry one key on my key chain and I can open/start any of my 4 Chrysler Vehicles.

Yes, my 2010 Commander with the Fobik key was a challenge at first, but they make a funky little Fobik Key that has NO remote buttons on the control head and a normal key blade extending from it. I had the key blade cut to the same as my other 3 Chrysler vehicles, had the fobik programmed to my Commander and rekeyed the driver door and glove compartment lock to the that key, that works just as well with the older Chrysler vehicles.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
if you own one of the recalled vehicles and would want to be a plaintiff please contact me ASAP preferably one that live in Southern California (Orange County)
Seriously, Dude? No one has been killed, seriously injured and only one accident reported, so what the hell is your cause of action? On what grounds are you trying to form a class? Ownership of a recalled Jeep alone won't suffice. This recall was initiated by FCA, not mandated by the Feds. Go troll elsewhere and quit chasing ghost ambulances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you litterally bump the key with your knee and make it turn?

Is the key cylinder/ignition switch is so loose and flimsy that it will turn with just a bump?
Yes. Bumped it with my knee both times it happened.

I have learned to drive with my right knee laying to the right...like I said, I about crapped my pants both times it happened in heavy traffic.

I read where people have filed complaints...does anyone know where online I do that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
last time I had my Commander in for a recall I ended up not being able to put my XK in 4 low, so I'm not risking messing with the ignition of my Jeep until i know there won't be any further issues

1 - 20 of 46 Posts