Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heard it was the PT Cruiser---big loss there!,dodge nitro and the aspen on the radio today.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I heard P.T. Loser & the seabring

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I heard they are taking simlar vehicles and dropping the least popular like the Aspen and Durango, keep the ugly Durango and drop the Aspen.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The pic from South Park says it all about Chrysler's plans! And some of the comments are just hilarious.

I hate to say this, but Chrysler deserves to die, followed by a major dissection of GM, and spinning off of Jeep into its own company again, maybe with the Dogde Ram as a truck platform. Can we say American Motors again? >)

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have read in three places that the Dodge Durango, Chrysler Aspen and PT Cruiser are the three to be discontinued. Autoweeks Daily Drive has pictures of the new 300 (sweet) and GC- a smoother version of the current one. It will be available in 2 and 3 row versions - so I'm thinking they will continue the Commander until the new GC arrives. A couple of monthes ago I read that the Jefferson plant in Detriot was going to build three vehicles. If the new Durango will be unibody, maybe it will share parts with the GC, which is supposed to be based on the Mercedes ML. Do not know what the third line would be.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I could never understand why car companies would release essentially the same vehicle under different brands, which seems to be the case with the Aspen and Durango.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I could never understand why car companies would release essentially the same vehicle under different brands, which seems to be the case with the Aspen and Durango.
Economy of scale, but again you're spot-on that they risk canibalizing their own sales between the competing brands.

As far as GM goes, I can't fathom why they're so willing to drop Saturn and Pontiac (mostly), yet keep two light truck lines with GMC and Chevy. IMO they should kill off GMC and move all their light-duty truck platforms to the Chevy brand. The commercial stuff can stay GMC, as they have their own medium and heavy-duty dealers.

With truck and SUV share dropping, why GM needs two brands in this segment is beyond me. May be a dealership issue, as it costs major $$$$ to buy out dealers when you kill brands, as state franchising laws apply rather than Federal.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
GMC doesn't have the same franchise restrictions that Chevy has: GMC can be sold by a non-GM dealer as well as a GM medium & heavy duty truck dealer. Plus they don't have car models attached to it which drag down dealer profits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts