Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, New here.
Wife just got a 2007 commander Limited 5.7
She loves the car, but when we accelerate slowly and hold speed between 20-35mph it the car sounds like an old POS. There is a Chugging, spuddering, tappet sound. There is no feeling of chugging or missing. In fact during the acceleration or constant low speed, if you take the car out of drive and put it in neutral the sound is gone......anyone else have this....The deal said that is the way it is......for $48K sticker it should sound much better.....any input please Thank.....
Plus has anyone put on a MagnaFlow exhaust....input

Martin

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the same sound, the dealer says that is the way it is. It is most noticeable under light, low speed acceleration. especially if there is a wall or building next to you that echoes it back. At first I thought it was a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Yeah, it really sounds crappy.
Any other 5.7 owners notice this, or is the dealer BS'-ing me? (I have not driven any other Hemi Jeeps to compare)

Martin -Put the magnaflow and an intake kit on - it will sound a lot better and give better throttle response. Won't fix that tappet sound, though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum!! you will find tons of useful info and nice people here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank,
That is the exact sound I am talking about.
There is not tappet sound from the engine , it only sounds like that.....

Does any have the magnaflow cat back exhaust....I found a great deal.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the 06 5.7L and not noticed it, but I have not tried it close to a wall where I could get better feedback. Maybe I accelerate too fast. I'll check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wait you have a HEMI and you have managed to find a way to accelerate slowly? Whenever I try to do that, my foot takes control away from my brain and mashes to the floor. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wonder if the transmission is upshifting too fast under those conditions. Why not try manually shifting by tapping the shifter to the left through each gear and see if it makes the same noise under the same conditions. john

·
Registered
686 Posts
Elihercu51125 said:
I have the same issue on my 3.7. I sound like [email protected] under look acceleration.

I have the 3.7 and have never noticed this. I'll try to reproduce and report back.

EDIT: Okay - leaving work today I've got a fairly long stretch through and alley outside the parking garage with walls on both sides. I drove according to the description in the original post, with all the windows down, and the engine sounded completely normal. No chugging or tapping or spuddering.

Though I could hear the FIPK sucking in air.

·
Registered
89 Posts
HEMI said:
I have the same sound, the dealer says that is the way it is. It is most noticeable under light, low speed acceleration. especially if there is a wall or building next to you that echoes it back. At first I thought it was a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Yeah, it really sounds crappy.
Any other 5.7 owners notice this, or is the dealer BS'-ing me? (I have not driven any other Hemi Jeeps to compare).
I had started a thread similar to this and it that sound always bothered me as well. I had the Service Director go with me on a test drive and he said that it was a normal sound because of the load and low acceleration. I wasn't too comfortable with the answer and thought he was BS'ing me as well. This was two months ago.

So I scheduled an appointment with another Jeep Service center and just got back today. A technician test drove the vehicle with me and he gave me the same response. I did not mention that I had visited another Service center. Eventhough that was the same response, I still wasn't satisfied. I wanted to test drive another XK Hemi to see if I can reproduce the sound. When pulling back into the center I noticed a brand new 2007 XK Overland Hemi parked on the sidewalk. It was the principle dealer's car, and he said I can drive it. Sweet.

I got in the vehicle and right when I accelerated I heard the sound. The sound is totally normal guys! Sorry for the long story. I'm just relieved that there's nothing wrong with my precious little baby.

PS - I hate this freaking runaround response..."there's nothing to worry about, your car is under warranty. If there's something really wrong, we'll fix it."

SF_JEEP

·
Registered
577 Posts
That makes me feel a bit better, SF - not because your XK is making noise too, but because I just want to know that mine really is okay, as I plan on keeping it for a long long time.
I wonder if that sound is related to the MDS system?? I am thinking that it might be.
-Hemi

·
Registered
89 Posts
RedCommander said:
They say sounds like injector tick to them.
One of the technicians that rode with me asked what type of fuel I used. I told him recommended grade, 89. That should rule out the injector tick right?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No, that should eliminate pre-detonation ping, but injector tick is a mechanical noise that we just can't seem to get rid of. Nothing wrong, and not noticeable to most people, but in the drivers seat it sure is noticeable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys,
While driving slowly or accelerating slowly, push the gear lever into N. The sound goes away! Then pull it back into D, the sound comes right back.
Its not the engine. It either the trans or exhaust......so very fustrating....

·
Registered
577 Posts
The sound goes away in neutral because the engine is no longer under load, and not working at pushing the beast along...
I am sure that it is coming from the engine, must be that "injector tick" , like red commander posted. Makes sense. Doesen't mean that it doesen't sound crappy, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 4.7 makes the same sound, so did the 4.7 in my old WJ.
With the old WJ it was the evap canister... I've always assumed it is the same with this (same) engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts