Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you easily get at the inside to clean it?
Mine seems so dusty in there. Is there an easy solution?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Lexan Headlamp covers start to craze over, sometimes it from the inside.

If it is really dust inside it, you could pull the bulbs and spray compressed air in there. I'm betting they are starting craze, fade, detiorate and if it might just be it happening from the inside instead of the usual outside.

I have had some luck with wet sanding with 1200 grit sandpaper and then plastic polish, be since that is NOT sealed, it starts to detiorate quickly after that.

Oh, and don't try to polish them with a Dremel, I tried that and it made it worse, the dremel is too fast for such soft plastic/lexan, it literally chewed up the area I tried to polish.

The best luck I have had with crazed lexan headlamps, do an internet search for cheap replacements and just take them out and replace them. I did that with my '99 Neon R/T, you'd be surprised how cheap they are and although them seem a bit less quality than OEM, they still do the job quite well. Its been about 3 years with a cheap set of replacements on the Neon and they are still going strong.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I wouldn't call it easy. :spineyes:

We build cop cars at our shop. (Install lights, sirens, radios, etc. etc.) The worst so far for jobs from heck is corner strobes on Ford Expeditions. The reflector is a greenish stuff that creates a static cling powder that smells like fiberglass resin, and it happens no matter how carefully the reflector is drilled. The crap permeates every cranny of the sealed housings. Forget compressed air. (We drill a 1" hole in the headlight reflectors to install a flashing strobe element)

What we do is make up a mix of Comet cleanser and water, and swish it around. (About 5% Comet) The abrasive Comet scrubbing particles won't scratch the chromed plastic reflector material, that only happens if the surface is rubbed directly, but it does knock loose dust/dirt. You'll need a couple of coffee cups worth in the housing.

Completely rinse the housing to remove the sudsy Comet mixture.

Now, rinse the housing out completely with DISTILLED water. You'll need quite a bit. It has to be DISTILLED or you will have water spots.

Then, use denatured alcohol. Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, it needs to be the stuff you clean paintbrushes with. Make sure it's alcohol, not turpentine etc., alcohol leaves no residue. You can buy it by the gallon, and about two coffee cups per housing works. (We do several cars or SUV's at once) Swish all around and dump it out. That will displace any water left, and what might be left won't spot if it's distilled water.

Rig up a vacuum cleaner to pull air for a while, about 2 hours to help speed up the process. Let it air dry a day or so after that to make sure.

Trust me, there's no way to hurry it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts