Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know how many people would be interested in trying a Clean Natural Gas conversion to their Commanders. Their are a few companys in the states that do this and you get better fuel economy and it's cheaper to operate, barring the cost of the conversion kit, which usually runs around 2-3,000 bucks. Before you answer, check the following link to see if you have a CNG refueling station near you, because here in hawaii, the closest one is in Los Angeles!
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html
I think with the way gas prices are now, this would be an outstanding alternative for us Jeep drivers. I want to start a conversion business here, but have no idea how.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can't believe the Governments and Auto companies that have been using the technology aren't pushing for it. I know here in Canada when the governments stopped giving rebates for alternate fuels years ago, the demand pretty much died.
Hydrogen/Natural Gas (HCNG) Fuel Blends would be my choice but not being able to readily get it I'd like to look into natural gas with a home fueling station. It should be pretty easy to remove the spare and stick a couple of CNG tanks there, you even run duel fuel. CNG has a higher octane rating than gas.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
They has a big deal her in AZ in 2000 where you got your car free after tax rebates or something if you went with CNG, many people did it to get the cheap car but never put the CNG in it, cost the state millions for the scam. Not alot of places to fill up at either.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hmm Air Force Base... Gov't only... something tells me my ID card won't work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.7, you are thinking of propane, and yes you can still use propane to power your vehicle which isn't as efficient as gasoline, but since propane is like more than a dollar less per gallon, it would only need to be 75% as efficient at a minimum to be equivalent. I'm thinking of using CNG though, which is pretty darn efficient and costs MUCH less than gas. They use like a GGE (gas-gallon equivalent) method and it is surprisingly good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts