Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

What is the best thing to get dead bugs that have exploded all over your commander's sweet grille? I can't seem to find anything that effectively gets the dead off.....hmmmmm.:confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I just want to SECOND the use of the fabric softner sheet DAMPENED with water. (the dampening is absolutely required). I came back from a long road trip (Las Cruces N.M. to S. Fla.) and as you might imagin I had LOTS of dead bugs. I read here or somewhere about this and tried it. Well, I couldnt believe it, without hardly any effort it IMMEDIATELY removes all dead bugs. Dont even have to use a new one, I used one taken from the dryer after use. Just incredible. john

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Fohn_Jargo said:
I prefer to leave them on there as warning to the other bugs that get in my way.
Yup, me too. And, the first layer of dead bugs helps keep the rest from sticking.

·
Registered
577 Posts
WOW!! That fabric softer sheet thing is AMAZING!! I have been fighting a losing battle with bugs for as long as I can remember. Thank you RedCommander - I owe you one.:)
-Hemi

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have not tried the fabric softner thing yet. Definitly will need to check this out. We are under strict water restrictions in the Rome, GA area so I can only wash on Saturday morning. - I do not do car washes - it's by hand...my hands or nothing. The bugs sure do build up after a week :eek:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
HEMI said:
WOW!! That fabric softer sheet thing is AMAZING!! I have been fighting a losing battle with bugs for as long as I can remember. Thank you RedCommander - I owe you one.:)
-Hemi
Amazing isn't it? I don't know if it's the fabric softener chemical or what, but I found out about it a year or so ago and haven't had a buggy front since. Glad you tried it and liked it. Since then, I've seen people at roadside rest stops with a gallon of water and a fab. sheet cleaning them off during trips. Not sure I'd want to do that as I don't know what the rest of the goop will do to the wax, but I've seen it done.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I dont see how it could effect the wax anymore then the bugs which become acidic as they rot. Plus, if they are using a gallon of water surely wouldnt be any residue left. In my case I used USED fabric softner sheets and they worked just fine, I now RETRIEVE the used ones after my wife runs the dryer and save them for me. john

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm also a fan of the fabric softener sheets. If they don't do the trick, I use WD40 on a microfiber sponge. That gets ANYTHING off. It's a good idea to clean immediately afterwards though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All I can say is wow. Works like avertised!

Thx

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here's ANOTHER use for FABRIC SOFTNER SHEETS. This time use UNUSED ones. Put ONE EACH under each of the front seats. Your Commander will smell FRESH and lot cheaper then sprays or other stuff. John

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
YB Normyl said:
I just found a fabric softener sheet in my sleeve, better save it. Is it better using a new sheet or no difference?
John says he has only used used ones. I have only used new. I'd like for John to try a new one, and I'll try a used one then we can report back our findings on the difference in usage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well today I tried the dryer sheet trick...WOW THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Between this trick and the peanut butter trick, I'm set.
My sheet started out new and eventually degraded down to a crumpled up little grey scrap... it still worked well as a scrap, just no soapy stuff coming off.
First time this summer my commander has been 100% (I think) bug free.
Again, thanks for posting this trick. AMAZING

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Just got done with mine too. Not only is it bug free, but it smells april fresh too!!!

Anyway, turns out we don't use dryer sheets since we got the new washer, so no used ones for me to try. I can say though, that from my perspective, the sheet seems to work best brand new, it takes just a tad more effort toward the end of the job, but still very easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts