Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone tried a Clevis Strut Lift on the Commander yet? Quite a few Liberty owners have done it at www.lostkjs.com. Seems like an inexpensive way to get a little lift in the front.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15164

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168

[/QUOTE]renegadekj:
Conduit nuts are actually designed for electrical conduit & connector installations. All they are made of is steel (not sure exactly what type) But they are fairly strong. You can get them at any hardware /electrical wholesale stores. You will require 2" ones to fit over you struts. The prices for half a dozen is maybe a couple bucks. You dont have to use these, you could also use a small piece of pipe with the same diameter, but it seems that the conduit nuts work well for many on the board and probably a real good choice from what i can tell from all the feed back.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone in the forum do this. Most of the lifts are Rusty's/RR 2" lift kits. I know that there are members that are looking for ways to level out the front, maybe this might be one way. But also, the commander is a lot heavier than they liberty.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While doing my oil change I noticed the the Commander has a 1/2 of strut below the bottom of the clevis before it even gets to the rounded bottom. If I read the thread from LostKJ's right, that should equal at least an inch of lift.

Also, I have a friend of mine looking into the possibility of a longer strut clevis from another Jeep, etc vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clevis lift

Did anyone ever find out if this is possible? I can't see why it wouldn't work... Also in regards to other vehicles with a longer clevis, were there any other options that fit our strut?

·
Registered
243 Posts
JeepinByAl sells a small strut leveling spacer on their website.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You can get almost 1/2" just by making sure you're at the bottom of the slot for the bolt.

If you want to try going further, use a dremel to cut that tab off and slide the fork down a bit more.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
IMHO this lift seems unstable compared to a solid spacer above the strut, again IMHO. I may be wrong but this is my 2 cents (50 cents adjusted for inflation).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't looked closely at the XK strut, but with the KK I removed the clevis fork, inserted a couple conduit nuts and then re-installed the clevis fork. The conduit nuts prevented the clevis fork from sliding back up into its original position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts