Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background-a new battery was put in in December, an ignition switch was also put in in December, the starter was put in in less than a year.

I am hearing a clicking sound as I attempt to start my car. I take it to AutoZone and they test everything and everything, including the alternator comes back A-ok. I get a jump and the car runs until I turn it off. I'm getting a jump to go throughout the day to make it home.

What is draining my battery?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Click click is a dead battery. Sounds like your alternator isn't charging the batter or you have something draining the battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you have been jumping it and driving around your alternator is working fine. Most likely your battery is fried but it could be a poor connection to the terminals (give them a good cleaning. Have the battery load tested. It is definitely not fine at the very least it needs to be put on a charger. If it was working okay it should have charged up while driving and if you turn it off the battery should have no problem starting again. If you have something draining the battery with the Jeep off it might not start after a few hours not immediately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It seems as if it isn't charging while I'm driving because it cuts off and won't restart immediately after I cut the car off unless I've had it charging all night.

·
Super Moderator
14,966 Posts
It seems as if it isn't charging while I'm driving because it cuts off and won't restart immediately after I cut the car off unless I've had it charging all night.
As quite a few members here have found out, a battery can test 'good' but still be bad. Are you in Fayetteville, NC ?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Also, did they test the starter itself? Could have a bad solenoid in it. Next time it clicks clicks, turn on the headlights and watch how much they dim when you try to start it. If they dim a lot, check the battery and connections. If they dim a little, check the starter.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If it was the starter it wouldn't start when it's jumped off another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery. should be 12V with car off. When running it should be 14V or higher to show alternator is working. Also take an ammeter and when the car is off (all lights off also) the draw on the battery (Red terminal) should read only about .5 amps, would only worry if over one amp. Bad connections on the starting motor could be overcome when jumping as the volts would be up to 14 or better if from another running car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, if battery is good, and alternator is good and it will jump start fine, means you have dirty connections, or a bad ground cable 99% of the time. Do you jump it by direct connection to the battery with both cables? If so, need to clean connections to the battery. If you jump it by connecting the ground direct to the engine, then clean the connections and check your ground cable/connection at both ends.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
If it was the starter it wouldn't start when it's jumped off another vehicle.
True - it shows the Starter motor works, no need to replace starting motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined today because it sounds like my problem.... research ...bad Front Control Module.... they are on national back order for a reason. It is normally a $355-$375 part, NOW $499, if you can get them. You can't. good luck.....it sux. Seems to be affected more by dampness or rain. ...but will gradually get worse. I would gladly pay $500 to have one now..... it is a black computer module that sits under a plastic cover bolted to a fuse box, behind the battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts