Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my wife said the the AC wouldn't kick on, that it was just blowing warm air. After I check it out, I could hear the compressor engage when I pressed the button. But it definitely didn't cool anything. I didn't have time to check any more into it at the time. Then my wife told me that she fiddled with the knob the next day and it started blowing cold air, kind of strange... so last night I an running some errands and it has dropped in temp and is snowing, but now it only blows cold air and not warm/hot. Could it be that the knob is just busted on the inside? How do I take that apart to look at it? Or is there something else I should check first?

FYI - coolant level is good, engine rises to running temp but never above normal, and the coolant return is warm. Also, the 3rd row climate control works just fine, air is nice and warm blowing from there.

--2009 4.7L QT2

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have the dual control, but I know blend doors and gears are a problem, do a search on blend doors and see what you find.

·
Administrator
6,210 Posts
Seems like that could be a possible cause, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Here is a pretty good thread about it that has alot of details including part numbers.

Part # 68017816AB for fresh air/recirc air door part.

Part # 5143192AA actuator for heater doors.

There is also a plastic gear on the actuator/recirculation door that tends to break off or the teeth on the plastic gear actually strip.

Recirculation Door Stays Open

Here is another pretty good thread on the subject:

Blower fan working but no air movement

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a pretty good thread about it that has alot of details including part numbers.

There is also a plastic gear on the actuator/recirculation door that tends to break off or the teeth on the plastic gear actually strip.

Thanks, Blue. I'll read through these. This weekend I plan to check the blend door, unless something changes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Turns out the plastic gear was broken off the door. Replacing the whole blend door looks like a huge job. So I took a square steel rod, heated it way up with a blowtorch, then used that to fuse to plastic gear back onto the door. working good so far.

·
Administrator
6,210 Posts
Turns out the plastic gear was broken off the door. Replacing the whole blend door looks like a huge job. So I took a square steel rod, heated it way up with a blowtorch, then used that to fuse to plastic gear back onto the door. working good so far.
That's pretty common, I suspected that could be the problem.

Your solution was creative, nice work.

Hopefully it doesn't break again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts