Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought i'd share my jeep's near death exp. We went out to Trabuco Creek Rd. in Orange county a few weeks ago after the heavy rains. I beleive I got very lucky and obviuosly made some mistakes, but it was in good fun. We have gone back since then but I decided to avoid most of the big puddles. I think the pics Speek for themselves.

Check out the Pics and vids HERE:yikes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too close for comfort

Thats a little too close. Good thing no more water got in the air box. Looked like fun though.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Wow, I really think a snorkel is the only way to go if you are going to play in the water with these Commanders.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That WAS close! I assume you also went thru where the black and silver trucks went? (Nobody took photos of you)

I can see it happening with the XK's air box mounted low and with the intake in the grill area. The water on both trucks was piling up on the grill with a wave as they moved along. That's typical of deep water crossings... the standing wave against the front end can add another foot or more to the ''effective depth'' of the water. The only cure is to drive at a dead slow speed, but if you're sinking in a soft bottom, you have no choice but to ram rod it.

I'm thinking a K&N intake kit which puts a cone filter mounted up higher and somewhere besides the grill would pay off with doing that stuff.

I'm also thinking at the very least, I'm going to go out and buy a couple more spare Wix air filters to keep in the rig as part of my ''always there'' emergency supplies. Should the same thing happen to me, a swap to a new filter would be better than running without one to limp home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the vids are of that same puddle the trucks are going through. I didnt check the air filter till the next morning... the car drove fine home but acted like it was choking while at stop lights...

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Wow!
Very fortunate....especially since the airbox drain is plugged.
It appears, as I look at your photos, one of the airbox lid clips is missing????
Or, maybe I just can't see it.
The reason I looked so hard is because it appears the water/mud has been drawn across what is normally an area sealed by the air filter outer ring.

Go buy a lottery ticket.....It's your lucky day!

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks like someone needs to invest in a snorkel.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Didn't look that deep, I've been through similar water recently. I better go check my filter!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Looks like you got lucky and had fun. Keep in mind....Speed + deep water = hydrolock! A big splash and some mud on your hood is cool but it could cost you some big $$$

1 - 10 of 10 Posts