Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a clunk/thud sound on the front suspension when you hit a bump or small pot hole or even driveway approach. I have had it since I bought it and thought when I replaced the struts it would go away. Being a mechanical minded person it sounds like a strut mount is loose or broken which is not the case. I do not believe it is the diff mount because it looks good and I don't think it would sound like that hitting a bump on both sides of the car because you can definitely tell which side of the car it is when you hit the bump

Any ideas??????

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Does anyone else have a clunk/thud sound on the front suspension when you hit a bump or small pot hole or even driveway approach. I have had it since I bought it and thought when I replaced the struts it would go away. Being a mechanical minded person it sounds like a strut mount is loose or broken which is not the case. I do not believe it is the diff mount because it looks good and I don't think it would sound like that hitting a bump on both sides of the car because you can definitely tell which side of the car it is when you hit the bump

Any ideas??????
@theturboman;

If you used the advanced search feature on the forum under the "Tools" tab, you'd literally find 100 other threads with the same or very similar titles....now we have 101....LOL.

First thing I'd get checked is your front upper differential bushing; a very common & well known point of failure on Commanders and Grand Cherokees alike, that will cause clunks up front, when you hit bumps.

All joking aside though - try the forum's advanced search feature under the Tools tab next time. You'll be surprised how quick, easy & informative it is. Once you go to the Tools tab, you'll see search by key words; Once you put your key words in, there is another drop down menu right underneath it where you can select either "search entire posts" - or "search thread titles only"; Whichever way you want to search is up to you;

I usually search by thread title only but it's up to you, whatever your preference is.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I would look at the front sway bar bushings, solved my problem years ago and has not returned.
What he said, fixed mine also, and very cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Took one of mine to NAPA and was told it looked good, replaced them anyway and problem solved and as mentioned very cheap.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I've replaced the front diff bushings and all of the sway bar bushings. My front sway bar bushings only lasted two years and 35K miles. Just replaced them again clunk gone. These vehicles are known to be tough on the sway bar bushings. Front and rear struts/shocks also replaced.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've replaced the front diff bushings and all of the sway bar bushings. My front sway bar bushings only lasted two years and 35K miles. Just replaced them again clunk gone. These vehicles are known to be tough on the sway bar bushings. Front and rear struts/shocks also replaced.
Have you tried different brands of sway bar bushings? I've heard good things about Moog's bushings, though I haven't tried them since I'd need to order the newer bushing bracket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read back on some of the other threads so I disconnected the sway bar of the lower control arms, removed the links and the noise is still there

So far new struts, springs, insect spring pocket insulators,replaced upper arms, inspect upper diff mount-- noise still there

·
Registered
333 Posts
have you checked your steering rack? there is a reverse torx head bolt that you can turn to tighten slop out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Put the car on the rack again, had a front end guy looking at it for a second opinion. Going to order lower arms to eliminate the lower ball joint and the rear bushing looks like it could possibly have some wear or clearance. Any suggestions on what brand to get? Looks like a lot of China made arms out there. I see Moog, Mevotech and AC delco have some available

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Put the car on the rack again, had a front end guy looking at it for a second opinion. Going to order lower arms to eliminate the lower ball joint and the rear bushing looks like it could possibly have some wear or clearance. Any suggestions on what brand to get? Looks like a lot of China made arms out there. I see Moog, Mevotech and AC delco have some available
If you are at 98,000+ miles and you haven't replaced your front upper differential bushing yet, there is a very good chance that's your problem.

They're typically shot by 80,000 miles and will definitely give that annoying front end clunk every time you hit a decent bump.

Here is an excellent explanation as to why the front upper differential bushings fail so frequently and so early on, as well as a very good thread on the subject below;

Josh went on to explain that the upper pinion bushing in the XK/ WK1 is usually the one that fails first (which we all know). However - what I didn't know is that about 75% of the torque and associated stress IS TRANSFERRED TO THAT ONE BUSHING FIRST. Holy cow is that a stupid engineering design for a rubber bushing. The other two take way less of a beating.
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/72835-differential-bushings-2.html

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Update-- I replaced the lower arms and the majority of the noise is gone
That makes sense; When I had my Superlift installed last November my mechanic told me my Front LCA bushings were complete mush.

I had him drop in a new set of Moog Front LCA's while he was installing the Superlift.

If you still have any residual noise I'd replace that front upper differential pinion bushing; you're definitely due for that repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes sense; When I had my Superlift installed last November my mechanic told me my Front LCA bushings were complete mush.

I had him drop in a new set of Moog Front LCA's while he was installing the Superlift.

If you still have any residual noise I'd replace that front upper differential pinion bushing; you're definitely due for that repair.

Probably so I don't know the history but all the bushings look original

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Probably so I don't know the history but all the bushings look original
Obviously there is some variation depending on how often the previous owners off-roaded with your XK, but typically, that front upper differential pinion bushing is good for about 70,000-80,000 miles and that's it.

I can tell you from experience, you will hear front end clunks going over bumps when it's bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Obviously there is some variation depending on how often the previous owners off-roaded with your XK, but typically, that front upper differential pinion bushing is good for about 70,000-80,000 miles and that's it.

I can tell you from experience, you will hear front end clunks going over bumps when it's bad.

This vehicle didnt have a scratch on the belly before I got it, she was a road warrior, being a California car no rust what so ever and most of the bushings appear to be in good shape but I will keep an eye out for the upper bushing. It doesnt look to bad to change just a little time consuming

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This vehicle didnt have a scratch on the belly before I got it, she was a road warrior, being a California car no rust what so ever and most of the bushings appear to be in good shape but I will keep an eye out for the upper bushing. It doesnt look to bad to change just a little time consuming

1 - 20 of 23 Posts