Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening all,
New to the forum but nor new looking things up. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. Working on a 2008 Jeep Commander. I just finished replacing the three front differential bushings, Front strut/spring assemblies and driver side cv axle. What is still happening is I am having a clunking/knocking sound on acceleration. It seem to subside when i get to speed. It almost sounds like something is hitting the cv axle. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7L V8
255 Posts
Did you check your front driveshaft transfer case boot for grease and play? When I took mine off for the very first time a couple of years ago to change the bushing just disconnecting the differential side and the boots age showed and ripped off.

The front driveshaft is a cv axle style, so if you're familiar with those noises it may be it. I'd give that a good look-see. Was it making the noise prior to replacing all that, did the noise change at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been making noise for two previous driver side cv axles. CV axle has very little play, front differential had new gear oil.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How's the differential spider gears look, any metal in the old fluid?

Found myself that drivetrain sounds are real fun to identify as they carry through.

Grab a stethoscope and find somewhere you know that can put it on a lift for a quick look see and while on the lift they can "drive" it while you stethoscope/find it? If you've replaced it with 2 cv Axles I don't want to say they are the problem. How's the driver side?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ohhh...did you check the axle shaft inside the differential on the passenger side? If you pull off the cv axle, make sure the spline it slips on is all the way set in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I will inspect front driveshaft boot and listen to front differential next weekend. Both cv axles are seated all the way. I did not notice any metal shavings in the gear oil, but I didn't look real close neither.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd still point to a driveshaft, whether front or rear, inspect them both :). Look forward to findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd still point to a driveshaft, whether front or rear, inspect them both :). Look forward to findings.
Replaced the rear cv joint on the front axle. Front of axle felt solid. Clunking still there. I read something about needing to replace upper control arms do to having a 2.5" lift. Thoughts on that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those would clunk over bumps I would believe. You can tell by listening, does it follow speed of revolutions to engine, to the wheels or to the bumps in the road? All of my clunking as always came from the rear axle. It could be the cv joint on rear axle connecting to transfer case thus making you think it's front. Driveline noise is never fun for me :(. Also does it clunk going into reverse and or drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those would clunk over bumps I would believe. You can tell by listening, does it follow speed of revolutions to engine, to the wheels or to the bumps in the road? All of my clunking as always came from the rear axle. It could be the cv joint on rear axle connecting to transfer case thus making you think it's front. Driveline noise is never fun for me :(. Also does it clunk going into reverse and or drive?
Thanks for info. No clunking in reverse. Also no clunking over bumps. Clunks when accelerating then appears to subside or go away once acceleration has leveled out. Did not check Rear drive shaft. I guess next on list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts