Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I been hearing this loud clunking noise coming from the front end of my Commander it makes the noise when I hit the gas, few mechanics have looked at it and all tell me different things. Anyone else has had this problem? TYIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
lay under it. grab things, shake things, tap things with a rubber mallet. Observe the conditions of bushings (look for holes wallowed out)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The bushing for the torsion bar will do this. Easy fix 4 bolts and new bushings. I got Moog (?) bushings 70,000 miles ago all is well. Search the form there a several posts on this. I remember taking the original bushings to NAPA and they told me they looked good. Ordered new ones based on info on this site. Problem solved. It only happened with a bump in the road.

·
Premium Member
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
824 Posts
Knowing if it is 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive would help, but assuming 4 wheel drive a pretty common cause is the front differential bushings are probably bad, 3 of them. That and the sway bar bushings as well. Post a signature that has your commander info in it like others on here have done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knowing if it is 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive would help, but assuming 4 wheel drive a pretty common cause is the front differential bushings are probably bad, 3 of them. That and the sway bar bushings as well. Post a signature that has your commander info in it like others on here have done.
Thanks and it’s a 4x4

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L 4x4
6 Posts
Thanks and it’s a 4x4
Yeah, mine has done that since I got it 70k miles ago. It's the front differential bushings. One of them is pretty easy to get to, just look at the front diff cover and you'll see it. The other two are a bit more work than they might be worth. One of them especially requires dropping the front diff.

·
Premium Member
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
824 Posts
I was lucky - my lifetime powertrain warranty covered replacing the front diff bushings.:p
The mechanic said it was fun - not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts