Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pouring through the forums and have a noise that I am having problems finding.

I had my struts replaced a couple of month ago with Bilstein struts and it rides great but when I go over rough road, there is a noise somewhere between a clunk and a rattle. It can barely be felt but is pretty audible. I just changed my sway bar bushings with moog bushings and it feels great but the noise is still present. I also checked the struts and the lift bolts and everything appears to be tightened up well.

Also, I can not tell if it is driver side or passenger side.

I replaced the plastic front skid plate with the steel one and added a 4xGuard belly plate as well and I was thinking about those but everything appears to be solid.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any recommendations on next steps? I know there are a lot of "clunk" threads but haven't been able to dial in on one that sounds like my issue. I feel like I am 1 rattle/clunk away from a perfect driving XK.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check your front sway bar links... I've had them go on two vehicles and it will produce a clunk over bumps... Your shop had to take them off to do your struts. If they were close to bad that prob finished them... Good news is they're cheap and easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered Moog links. I will let you know and appreciate the input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah. Let me know, it sucks because you can't look at them and know they're bad... but make sure they are torqued tight when you put the new ones on. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No fix thus far:

Here is what I have done:

1) Replace struts with bilstein struts.
2) Replaced the sway bar bushings with MOOG bushings
3) Repaced the sway bar links with MOOG
4) Put on Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT tires (not related)
4) Tightened the 3 bolts between the two pieces of my 4xGuard belly guard.

The ride is great.

I still get a clunkish-rattle (It is more of a clunk but isn't just one clunk like over a speed bump). It is most noticeable over rough concrete.

My next step is to see if one of the two skid plates are resonating bumps. I replaced the plastic front skid plate with the steel one.

If you were hunting this down, what would you do next?

·
Registered
23 Posts
No fix thus far:

Here is what I have done:

1) Replace struts with bilstein struts.
2) Replaced the sway bar bushings with MOOG bushings
3) Repaced the sway bar links with MOOG
4) Put on Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT tires (not related)
4) Tightened the 3 bolts between the two pieces of my 4xGuard belly guard.

The ride is great.

I still get a clunkish-rattle (It is more of a clunk but isn't just one clunk like over a speed bump). It is most noticeable over rough concrete.

My next step is to see if one of the two skid plates are resonating bumps. I replaced the plastic front skid plate with the steel one.

If you were hunting this down, what would you do next?

I remember when I changed my struts, I forgot to put the rubber inserts that go in the strut assembly and it made a clunking noise after bump. Did you do the install or someone else did it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
someone else did it. I appreciate it. I have checked every bolt under the car. I even removed a couple of skid plates. I will have the service center that changed it check for the clunk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My guess would be the nut that holds the strut in place.
The one that goes on the shaft.
If it is not tight it will let the strut move in its mount.
Bad thing is you must drop the whole thing down to tighten it.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am taking it in to the place that changed the strut. I am frustrated by it. Thanks for the reply. This is good info to take with me to the service center.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Can you see at least 7-9 threads on the center bolt that hold the upper strut plate to the strut? If less than that is showing it needs to be tightened!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that guys were enlarging the center hole in the body to be able to tighten the strut center main bolt saving to have to remove it to tighten?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, you can dremmel the hole large enough to get a deep socket over the strut nut from the top without having to drop the suspension. (I just did it last week takes only a few minutes. Then tighten the top strut nut with an impact wrench.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you see at least 7-9 threads on the center bolt that hold the upper strut plate to the strut? If less than that is showing it needs to be tightened!
Would I see the 7-9 threads if it has the RC lift?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE- Next step?

I took it to my mechanic and they said they checked every bolt. The only think they suspected was that the bushings on the lower control arm where compressed a little awkwardly with the lift. It was their contention that there may be some clunking due to the angle difference with the lift.

Does anyone notice some rattling/clunking with the 2" lift. It is more clunking than rattling. I am perplexed.

Also, would I need a spring compressor if I wanted to check myself to see if the rubber insert wasn't installed with the strut? I haven't replaced a strut before.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had cluncking after my lift , it was the stablelizer bar end links after this the clunking was gone. atleast in my case.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Indy, did you install the struts yourself or have a shop do it? When installing them, the lower bolt should be tightened after the vehicle is on the ground. Otherwise, it puts the CA bushing in a twist at normal ride height. This will cause premature failure. I'm wondering if that's what's going on with yours. The top rubber insert should be seen from the outside. It's on top of the coil but below the steel bracket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
agree... i think it's probably the top strut mount bolt...if you don't want to remove the struts ...just dremmel a hole in the center so you can get a socket down to reach it.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I agree about the top strut bolt. I tightened mine all the way! And make sure your bump stop is seated up in the top or the top of the strut will knock around in that hole.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to try this today (dremmel it) because it is driving me crazy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts