Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ive got a 2008 limited XK with the hemi, 2inch RC lift, and 1.5" wheel spacers.
Recently, the clunks ive been hearing have been increasing.

- Clunk from left front side when entering driveway at an angle
- clunk from under car when coming to an abrupt stop (not smashing the brakes but harder than a gradual stop)
- clunk from what sounds like the tranny when the engine is idling at highway speeds and then gas is reapplied

Im thinking a control arm needs to be replaced at least but what other things could cause this sound. Some things ive found from searching here could be U joints and bushings but im not sure what else.

Any input is appreciated.

-SP:mad::mad:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Kinda sounds like the front differential bushings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Front sway bar end links and front differential bushings. If check out your ball joints and tie rods while you at it and make sure they are good.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok ill check those...thanks for the input. Quick question, will i be able to hear the clunk just by trying to move the parts around or will it be visible?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Some parts like the front differential bushings you can visually see that they are bad (bushings ripped/torn. If you hear a clunk when you first put it in reverse or drive while your foot is on the brake, chances are you need new diff bushings. As far as the sway bar bushings, disconnect them and see if the clunk goes away. If it does then they new to be replaced. Lower control arms you can usually visually see a bad bushing especially at the strut fork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts